What's new

Upper Display fault - will cooking it help?

boyse7en

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2CDTI
My upper dash LCD display (Clock/aircon temp/Radio info) is intermittently faulty, flickering or going out completely, when coming back on etc.
A sturdy thump to the top of the dash usually makes it flick back on , but it soon goes dark again.
I've taken it apart and had a fiddle around and i'm fairly sure it is a dodgy connection between the green socket on the back of it and the circuit board. Unfortunately, due to the way it is ***embled, there is no access to the soldered joints on the rear.
I've read/heard that "baking" a circuit board in the oven can reflow the solder and repair bad connections, but can't find much info (which infers that it doesn't work). Anyone tried it before?

Yes you are right it's the solders on the green connector

Fixed replacement available from eBay

My top display did exactly the same as yours, after taking it out and messing with it a few times it still was the same, a thump on the dash brought the display on again intermittenly, I finally found the cure and it's been faultless for 3 months now. Take out the display and just use a small piece of plastic (I use a piece of a small cable tie) and force it between the green socket where the connector fits and the circuit board. This works..