What's new

Vtec not kicking in

riyan2002

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 1.8
Hi im new to this forum and I have a 1.8 accord with the f18b2 engine and vtec doesn't work any more when it reaches 4k rpm but a week ago vtec kicked in but not anymore and I also cleaned the engine bay with wd40 and I sprayed the vtec solonoid with it but I'm not sure if this caused it to not work. I can't hear a difference after 4k rpm
Thanks
Riyan

Hi,

The V-Tec system is fairly straight forward luckily. I saw something about it on Wheeler Dealers when they did an S2000 where the oil chamber was blocked and prevented it from activating.
Do you have any warning lights showing on the dash at all?
Is your oil level ok?
Any other problems in normal running?

Here's the relevant ESM info which should give you a start on what to look at:
https://app.box.com/s/cf35i88imr9z871ocxf3gxdg5uqpt9cl

The can hasn't been serviced in 4 years no oils change nothing just mot . There is no lights on the dash. Do you think a service can fix it but the vtec worked the other day though . Thanks for the support

If the oil hasn't been done in that long then definitely get that done as soon as you can. Personally, I'd get it done again in a few months to help flush out any nasties.

If it's working intermittently then it could be a case of low oil pressure or some sort of blockage. It is a very simple system with little to go wrong so tracking down any problems should be fairly easy.
Here's the bit of Wheeler Dealers I mentioned. It clearly details the servicing of the unit nicely.
https://youtu.be/8gb2p64a8KE?t=16m

This shouldn't affect the V-Tec working but prolly about time to get any filters and the spark plugs changed as well and just give everything a good check over.

Hi
Thanks for the response
I will get the service done this week and I will let you know if it works. Thanks
Riyan

Hi
Thanks for the response
I will get the service done this week and I will let you know if it works. Thanks
Riyan

Welcome along Rihan this sounds like your VTC solenoid blocked due to sludge and lack of oil changes.
A few oil changes might help help but you might need a manual strip down to unblock.

You will also need to change the seals if it is sludged up.

Also the VTEC in these does not have the "kick" so make sure you are not getting confused with that it giving a big boost, these are SOHC economy engines, not high performance engine.

riyan2002 said:
The can hasn't been serviced in 4 years no oils change nothing just mot . There is no lights on the dash. Do you think a service can fix it but the vtec worked the other day though . Thanks for the support
Basic servicing keeps any car healthy! Clean it all up and carry on servicing it every 10k with good quality oil and parts and it'll never happen again.

Just replaced the sparks and air filter today. You can definitely hear a difference in the noise and it pulls much harder at high rims thanks guys for the advice. Just need to do the oil and filter then done

For the filter a Honda genuine or Blueprint one is all I'd suggest. And for oil I tend to stick to using Shell Helix HX7 in the correct grade.
Neither are that expensive and best to avoid anything cheap like the Euro's own brand bits.