What's new

Water in Tyre Well

J_VTEC

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Hi All,

Yesterday a discovered a large amount of water in the tyre well of my Accord. I emptied it out and dried it. Today I've checked it again and I can see a couple of runs of water running from the O/S rear corner of the boot to the tyre well. I've tried researching the issue online and came up with everything from leaky boot seal to leaking sells around the tail lights.

Is this a common fault? If so, is there a sure fire way of diagnosing and fixing it?

Cheers.

I had the leaking seam behind the tail lights. Diagnosis was to run water hose at full flow starting from bottom (spraying at various angles to ensure penetration at each step) to top and then along roof watching (or feeling) for when water starts entering side wells. Not sure if your car is a tourer but they mostly seem to be roof bar seal leaks. Sometimes just removing and refitting roof bars resolves it.

Thanks! Mine's a saloon. I should've stated that. I had a similar issue with my Civic (FN2 Type S GT) when I started to get mould in the boot. The rear seatbelt on the driver's side was soaking wet too. Turned out it was the seals on the rear hatch electric harness conduits that were full of crud around the grommets. Pulled them out, cleaned the crud off and the surrounding area and popped out all back together. No leaks (or mould) since. In the case of the accord, I might have to check the seals around the O/S light cluster.

What do you think?

Do I remember something about blocked sunroof (if you've got one) drainage channels sometimes causing this?

No sunroof so it can't be that. Just checked the boot again and sure enough it's full of water again which it worrying considering it was cleaned out and dried on Saturday.

Worst part is, I can't see any evidence of where it's coming from. Had a quick look at the rear light cluster and it all looks dry.

There also appears to be grit in it too.

J_VTEC said:
Worst part is, I can't see any evidence of where it's coming from. Had a quick look at the rear light cluster and it all looks dry.

There also appears to be grit in it too.
You can put dry paper or similar on/in suspicious places to find out where water is coming from...

I'll give it a go as soon as it stops raining. I've heard talc can be used too.

Thanks, sounds like a good idea. It'll have to wait until the weekend now though.

Weekend looks like good weather for ducks.

Try parking the car on the other camber of the road for a night or two, which will eliminate one side from the equation.

OK,a quick update.

So the other day, I reseated the boot seal down the sides and among the bottom of the boot opening. I had noticed the lower plastic trim panel was a bit loose so secured that whilst I was at it. The lip of the seal was under the trim panel.

When I checked the Civic which has a similar arrangement,I noticed the lip of the seal was OVER the trim panel. I did the same with the Accord and used the car as normal. We had rain the following day and up until now, no leaks.

I'm going to keep my eye on it but so far, so good.

Maybe an ill-fitting boot seal was the issue? Only time will tell.

Thanks for the advice so far