What's new

Wax options

93 accord

The 4th gen'er
Reaction score
Car
1993 Accord CB3
Basically Im sick to death of this stuff (in gold tin)

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=699&tbs=isch:1&sa=1&q=simoniz+wax&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Its got good reviews, but the reality is its too hard to apply, it dries in 3seconds, meaning you cant do much of an area in one go. Its not practical.

So Ive looked around, Ive even checked out the threads here, but what would people suggest for some good wax? It cant be more than £15, prefer a paste, and it needs to be easy on easy off!

Marcus, try Dodo Juice Need for Speed

Very easy to work with and a really nice result. Plus you can top coat over it with a QD and it won't streak

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/dodo-juice/-need-for-speed-cleaner-wax-250ml.aspx

Chemical Guys - XXX Hardcore Paste Wax
A good wax easy on and off but only lasts about 1-2 months.

Meguiars #16 Paste Wax
I have not used this wax, but have heard good things about it.

Collinite No. 476S - Super Doublecoat Auto Wax
A good wax, but is a bit of a pain to get off if left too long but up to 6 months protection, good shine but not much metallic pop and depth.

Dodo Juice - Supernatural 30ml panel pot
A excellent but very pricey for a full pot, lasts about 4-6 months easy on but can be a pain to get off (has to cure for 10 min) a very nice shine and all good performer.

All depends on what you want from your wax i.e shine, depth metallic pop and how often you plan to wax the car as for the durability, like Faddy said Dodo have a excellent range of paste wax's but start from about £30.

Any questions just ask and i will try to help you out as i have owned over 20+ waxes ranging from £10 - £70.

Jamie S

I have to say collinite 476s is the dogs for winter protection, what i do is clay, polish, seal for the shine then 2 coats colli. for winter i swear by this stuff.

Colli doesn't really add anything, it just protects so all prep is done beneath it. plus it'll last forever, and you can go over it with a QD.

double coat is all you need for winter

Sweet!, well I always hear good things about dodo products, and colli wax

I think for me Im not at the level or the car paint work for that matter to spend more than £15 on some wax, The long lasting isnt too much of a concern, 1-2 months would be fine.

Im really interested in a very good quality wax that is easy to put on and off. Anything that dries to quick bakes its self on as such then just leaves holograms which i hate.

Interesting list, while you posted that, I had thought about, Megs 16 paste, and Colli 476s. Now Colli gets the better reviews but as you also say its harder to buff off, So would it be logical to get the Megs 16 or the Chemical guys hardcore paste wax?

Chemical guys hardcore paste wax is what i call my mr miyagi wax!! wax on, wax off!! It is that easy to use, even my 78 year old grandfather uses it!

if you want to try a Dodo wax then you can get a sample pot for about £7 from here Dodo samples .

i can recommend for your car :-

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet (hard wax)
or
Dodo Juice Purple Haze (soft wax)

hope this helps ya

Jamie S

For winter, without doubt Collinte 476s, or 915 for darker cars or 845 if you prefer a liquid wax. If you can stretch to £25/30 Autoglym HD Wax is very similar to Collinite, a little bit easier to remove though in my opinion. Either way, just make sure you apply two very thin coats rather than one thick one. Thin coats make wax much easier to remove.

It's a shame Heritage Wax have disappeared, it is the easiest on/off wax i have ever used and very well priced.

Right guys thanks alot for your help, you have advised well, I have taken the plunge and bought some Collinite 845! Its a good make, its liquid, which makes it super easy and quick to apply, and hopefully it shall shine well and protect for more than 1 month. and the whole thing cost £14.99 so thats under budget haha. Thats 1p towards my H22a fund haha

Don't think you'll go wrong with Colli. I got 476 on in october and its still beading very well. I left it overnight between coats, some would say an hour is fine. The only problems I had with it was its quite hard to see on silver where you've applied it (476), and it took a while to dry fully (around 7-8 deg). A good microfibre removed it with ease.

Also, if you have time, clay the car first, it will make waxing so much easier as it is easier to buff up a smooth surface.

yep, I shall use some of my bilt hamber clay, tho i did a clay session a few weeks ago, but no harm doing again.

Collinite has a reputation for being very durable however for me the application and removal requires a fair amount of effort. Currently I am using on my Accord, Finish Kare 2685 which has proven to be an excellent choice. Easy to apply and remove with good results. Another easy to use wax has to be Poorboy's Natty Paste Blue.. I have a number of waxes from Dodo Juice, and it was Blue Velvet that I used on my Accord in conjunction with the Lime Prime but I couldn't help but feel that the wax could have been a little more durable..

Suppose i should conclude the conclusion of my waxing antics, in a nut shell (what a stupid phrase) without beating around the bush (what the hell?) the Collinite 845 wax is brilliant, at first i thought i might have trouble getting it out the bottle, super thick stuff, but after a major shake, it was good to go. The best thing is not only does it clearly put a layer on top on the clearcoat, its really easy to apply, and doesnt "bake" it self to the paintwork in 1 second flat, so it also ment it only took me small amount of time to do. Also its quite cheap. Ive done the whole car now once, and ive used only the amount that was sitting in the neck of the bottle. So its going to last long as well.

Pics of this amazing stuff in action is in my members ride page, click sig link if interested.

Hi Guys,

Used a combination of Carlack sealant and Colli wax on both cars this winter and have found both very easy to apply and polish off. Very durable and good beading :)

Clean my car

Regards

Simon

AG HD Wax works for me beads for AGES

Its what i use as well. I tryed loads of different brands before settling with HD wax. Easy to apply and polish off and lasts.

I will let the pictures do the talking.
IMG_9982.jpg

IMG_9977.jpg

IMG_9982.jpg

Wow! That's a pretty stunning finish.

Thats what u get when u use AG HD Wax the stuff is amazing very easy to use and most importantly it smells nice to lol look at my gallery thread and see how mine turnt out im sure that will convince u

476 on top of carlack for me.....

Did give mine a quick shower and shine last week, it desperately needs a clay session but I didnt have time and my clay bar is past it so I need to order a new one when I get a minute. :D

Well so far my 845 colli is doing me proud, you can see when it applied as it alters the hue of the car slightly, as if there is another clearcoat layer.

Ive waxed my car 3 times now since November, and only down to the shoulder top of the bottle, so its going to last well.

They use colli wax in the vip yacht industry, as it has good repellent to sea salt. so if you live near the coast, go get some!

You can't get any further from the sea than sunny Birmingham but it's no excuse for not buying a reasonable wax. I tried Natty's paste wax last time and it seems OK.

I tend to do three coats of colli 24hrs apart, that gives great protection for months.

I tend to do three coats of colli 24hrs apart, that gives great protection for months.

i take it you car is garaged then, after 3 days my car would need another wash haha.

But what i do do, is double layer the front section, bonnet, front wings, and front bumper. I wax these parts first, move around the car, til i get to these parts and do them again for a second time.