What's new

What's the deal with Scratched Brake Discs?

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Alright Guys,

I've just noticed, much to my horror, that my ten month old rear near side brake disc has a large collection of massive scratches in it. I can only ***ume salt/grit from the recent cold spell has found its way in and cut some massive grooves into the disc. What are the implications of this? Is it drastic or can it wait a little while before sorting? Will it fail its MOT like it? Can this wait or do I need to hammer the credit card?!

Just for the record, I don't know for sure when this happened, I have not noticed any noises, but cast an eye over the car often enough to know it will have happened in the last couple of weeks (hardly driven it this week as have been off work with the flu). I don't know if the offending pieces of grit are still lodged in the brake or not. The other 3 wheels are fine.

Any help or suggestions appreciated as always guys. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve
It is difficult to provide advice without seeing the scratches you refer to but as a general rule large grooves in the discs will reduce the contact area with the pads thus affect breaking.
That said the rear discs to not exert massive breaking effect, its predominantly the fronts.

So if it was me, I would check the affected brake, strip and clean.
Then as long as the brake was free to move and not pulling whilst braking I would leave alone for now.

New discs and pads for the Tourer only cost me £70 parts so not an expensive fix

had both rear discs and pads replaced under warranty recently due to uneven wear on one side and scraping noise from discs. appears to be a known issue. hope this helps.

Cheers guys, that's a speedy response :) . There are 3 or 4 grooves, the fattest about 1 to 2 mm in width, none are more than a millimetre deep. The car has felt completely normal under breaking.

If I get one disc replaced (near side), should I be getting the other side of the car done (off side), for the sake of balance etc? Or as they're fairly new discs would I likely be ok to just replace the one disc? Obviously I'll double check with the garage before hand, but just so I'm in the know when I go in there...?

Cheers guys, that's a speedy response :) . There are 3 or 4 grooves, the fattest about 1 to 2 mm in width, none are more than a millimetre deep. The car has felt completely normal under breaking.

If I get one disc replaced (near side), should I be getting the other side of the car done (off side), for the sake of balance etc? Or as they're fairly new discs would I likely be ok to just replace the one disc? Obviously I'll double check with the garage before hand, but just so I'm in the know when I go in there...?
I think you kind of answered your own question, its normal practise to change both discs and pads on each axle. That said if it was me I'd possibly be inclined to leave it if the performance has not been affected. I've had it in the past that once the offending piece of grit is dislodged, the disc and pad beds itself back in and the scoring reduces over time. Only do this if you are confident that the braking performance is not effected and if you are in any doubt then take to a garage.

Took the wheel off this morning and had a close look at things. Was going to brave loosening the calliper and seeing if I could see anything on the pads, but the bolts were so tight, it was really cold and I didn't fancy being rough with it as the car was only on the flimsy looking little jack fore changing a puncture and I was woking at the road side, had visions of the car coming down on me :unsure: . But could turn the disc freely enough to sense that there isn't anything between the pads. There's still resistance and a rubbing noise though. I think this is the beginning of the same old rear break seizure that plagues the 7th Gen Accords. My Off-Side went about 6 months ago, so it would make sense that the near-side wouldn't be too far behind. At least I know what to do now.

Thanks for the help guys

Do these scratches go in a circle round the disc ? if so I wouldn't worry about them.... Has the pad been wearing it from the outside of the disc to hear the center ? actually take a pic so we can see cos I think there's nothing to worry about..

paul

Yeah, they're circular to suggest they're caused by the brake pad or something. I'm not worried about them now though, having looked closely at them, they're very shallow and nothing major. And like I said, I don't think that's really the problem now, it's the constant rubbing which I'm ***uming is the hose corrosion clogging up the pistons and like you get on all Accords sooner or later. Will try and get it sorted this week.