What's new

wobbly steering under load

hale-pope

Members
Reaction score
Car
10 i-dtec tourer ex
I have been getting wobbly steering under load. The wheels are true and the garage check (an Indie, not Honda) have not seen anything untoward happening. She is at 170k miles so it could be just that the suspension is getting a little 'saggy' but i wondered if anyone else had experienced anything or had knowledge of a 'usual failure'? Thanks.

I had a pronounced wobble under acceleration at about 38mph. With hands off the steering wheel the wheel moved probably +/- 10 degrees. It looked really bad, but the slightest touch of the hand stopped it. I figured it it was anything serious I'd have continued to feel it through the wheel, or when cornering, or braking, or something.

Once beyond 40mph it vanished.

I was frightened it was drive shafty. Or a power steering fault.

Anyhow, took it to the tyre place to see if I'd buckled a wheel or something (seemed like the least expensive place to start). They diagnosed un-even tyre wear owing to the tracking being out. When the guy pointed out the uneven wear it was blindingly obvious, but I couldn't see it until then.

Two new front tyres and 4 wheel alignment and the problem has gone. Time will tell if the uneven wear returns...

I've only done half your mileage. Perhaps you could swap your wheels front to back and see if anything changes?

I had not even thought about tracking. I've had the tyres changed and in the process they moved the wheels about and it didn't make a difference so yes, it maybe something as simple (and, as you say - the cheapest option) as tracking. Thanks.

Finally sorted this and it was engine mounts and propshaft bushes but as my car has now done 187k i was not wholly suprised! Not cheap but the problem has been solved.