Dan Robinson

Grand High Plumber
Reaction score
Car
06 EX Tourer i-CTDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcVbg3viMP8

Or thi (at least its a honda)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghlChTbh4qE&NR=1

That's very lazy, and indeed possibly going cause more problems than it solves. I don't know about you guys, but my car's done 50K and you can just wipe the dust off the engine. It's so clean. Surely a well maintained engine shouldn't get all gunky and stuff because there aren't leaks and problems. My Dad had an old Merc C200 which after 100K looked almost new under the hood.

In fact, I've been warned about sparkling clean engine bays. I've heard people who've suffered major engine issues and want to hide it when selling their car will blitz the engine bay to get rid of all the oils and other fluids that may have been splattered all over it after they blew it up or something :huh: .

Obviously if you're an enthusiast or a modifier then you're going to take pride in your bay. But then you'd clean it properly with elbow grease. This above is just sloppy.

I notice they didn't try and start the engine after the pressure wash!! :lol:

It is possible to steam clean your engine bay, which does just as good a job, but without the gallons of water in all your electrics.

I cleaned mine using a rag with a little diesel on it from when I changed the fuel filter. Did quite a good job surprisingly! Got rid of all the dirt, oil and grime on all the metal and plastic surfaces. :D

LOL, I'd have loved to have seen either of the men in those clips attempt to start the cars after that. I would have thought that kind of cleaning could cause many electrical faults.

When I was 17 (way, way back lol) My Father said the engine bay on my car looked grubby. Result of his throughts, he steam cleaned it for me.......................say no more!!!!!!!! other than it didn't run that day and then required somekind of damp start spray on the electrical bits before it would start and some electrical adjustments. I nearly hit the roof when I walked down the road and saw him with the lance a couple of inches away from the engine, not just a pressure washer either, a steam/hot presure washer. Of all the stupid things to do as well. Years ago there were not as many electrical components on cars either.........

So, in answer to the question NO I would not do that to my car, or any car lol.

A long long time ago I worked for a valet company and we used to do this all the time
The diesel engines were not a problem but the petrol were a bit more temperamental
I still steam clean mine from time to time with no probs

A long long time ago I worked for a valet company and we used to do this all the time
The diesel engines were not a problem but the petrol were a bit more temperamental
I still steam clean mine from time to time with no probs

Yikes, I'd wouldn't pressure wash my own car let alone a customers car. It nearly killed my car, having said that it was a petrol.

All used vehicles sold at a main dealer have their vehicles done this way to make the engines look like new
It makes a good selling point

Please have a look at the thread below ;)
Im still a bit worried myself as haven't got a blower so might have to invest in one.
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/5200-meguiars-engine-bay-cleaner-dressing/

In fact, I've been warned about sparkling clean engine bays. I've heard people who've suffered major engine issues and want to hide it when selling their car will blitz the engine bay to get rid of all the oils and other fluids that may have been splattered all over it after they blew it up or something :huh: .

Its for that exact reason my Dad always says a dirty engine bay is an honest one.

this looks very scary, i noticed the battery was not covered in the honda :eek: im sure the is cause an arch and many problems would arise, also water over the spark plugs ???asking for trouble if you ask me and yes it is very lazy...

:lol: very lazy I agree - which is exactly why I had a little pop today.

Snow foamed the backside off the engine. Left it for a few minutes then used the pressure washer - set to a very low spray setting - to rinse it off - and it did actually make a difference. I forgot to take a before picture; but:

IMAG0289.jpg

Everything was fine - no lights, no starting issues, no protection for the battery either - although I did not spray anything directly a the fuse boxes

Will see if I can get some degreaser and use that with a watering can, then a rag for the metal pipes.

Looking good Dan boy hope you had a good time in Japan :)

Autoglym vinyl and rubber care is pretty good to spray onto a wet engine my mate was a valeter used to use it all the time after washing engines off think it shifted water too just left it to dry naturally.

When I picked up my car the bay was pretty dirty, used Megs engine degreaser, spray all over bay let sit, agitate any stubborn areas then rinse with the pressure washer. Just make sure you dont get too close and force water where it shouldn't be!! Helpful to leave engine running and keep water away from induction kits/air filters other than that should be fine. Done this to lots of cars when valeting and never caused an issue electrical or mechanical =)

I am a keen detailer and always clean the engine bay to make it look perfect I simply snow foam then rinse top tip leave the engine running when steam washing as if you don't then it may not start :rolleyes:

Incase anyone was wondering, the song used in the first vid is by a band called Lamb of God, and is called redneck - just thought you should know cause it's GRRRREAT!!!!

Edit* The second song is by Disturbed and is called Ten Thousand Fists.

Also, if i ever saw someone doing that to my car i'd kick them in the nuts.

Hasn't hurt mine as long as you dry it proper its ok.

Looks scary to me. I'm nervous about pressure washing bodywork, let alone engine bays - but I'm in the honest and grubby camp as far as under bonnet stuff is concerned.

I hose my motorbike engines all the time but would never put a hose in my car engine bay :unsure:

Once used a pressure washer on a bike and stopped immediately when I saw it strip paint :blush:

Gerry

^^^My next door neighbour owns an industrial pressure washer. One of the blokes who used to work for him (Peter), 'borrowed it' without him knowing to do his car one day when we were quiet on site.

Started up the engine on it (you'd have thought from this he'd know :lol: ), and proceeded to point it at his van. Was alright on the wheels, then lifted up the lance, pointed it at the drivers window, pulled the trigger and blew BOTH his windows out with it!!!!! I have never laughed so hard in my life!!!!

All you need to do is a few bags over the exposed electrical block, hose it down (cold engine) and apply a degreaser work it in with a paintbrush then hose it off, start engine and let it dry and I then work wd40 into it with a brush. I have used a pw on it before but no need really and theirs a chance it'll push its way into electrical connections etc..

Not bad I reckon B)

09042010141.jpg

oooooohhhhh Shiny B)

Totally agree sal lol