What's new

1.8 vtec accord wont start

Mine had the same problem. Gave it a good service with some new leads and fuel filter. Not had the problem since and it's been three months.

My starting problem has flared up again
Throughout the cold weather it started up first turn, it seems on wet days this starting problem flares up B)

Moisture getting in somewhere then perhaps?

check for water in the engine bay, believe or not this problem has been seen on a ford focus, where water was getting into the engine bay...

check for water in the engine bay, believe or not this problem has been seen on a ford focus, where water was getting into the engine bay...

I checked for water in engine bay and no visible signs,
I dont think water is getting in mate, I would think its dampness thats affecting something,
This only happens on damp days
When the cold spell was here I went out to start it and it was -10 and it started up straight away and last summer in the good weather we had I had no problems then either,
Maybe I should relocate to a desert, middle of the sahara, somewhere with zero mositure :lol:

Location?

and do you suggest replacing both with new parts?

Its a shame because this car only has 75,000 miles on it

It's that round thing on the left of the engine, when facing it. It's where the black plastic thing where the spark plug cables are connected. The rotor is inside.

Both parts get worn with time. You can always take it of and give it a clean, and use a small piece sand paper to clean the rotor end and the metal parts inside the distributor cap. Make sure you go easy on the sand paper, just a few scratches ;)

Here's two pictures of the inside of the distributor cap and the rotor:

Ignore the round thing with the red sticker, its the LPG filter :lol:

It's that round thing on the left of the engine, when facing it. It's where the black plastic thing where the spark plug cables are connected. The rotor is inside.

Both parts get worn with time. You can always take it of and give it a clean, and use a small piece sand paper to clean the rotor end and the metal parts inside the distributor cap. Make sure you go easy on the sand paper, just a few scratches ;)

Ignore the round thing with the red sticker, its the LPG filter :rolleyes:

Thank you for your help

I`ll try this tomorrow and let you know how I get on mate

Both parts get worn with time. You can always take it of and give it a clean, and use a small piece sand paper to clean the rotor end and the metal parts inside the distributor cap. Make sure you go easy on the sand paper, just a few scratches :(

Ignore the round thing with the red sticker, its the LPG filter :rolleyes:

I did what you said to do, I cleaned the little metal tip which was rusty with sand paper, just a few rubs mind until it was silver again and under other connections and still no luck
guess when I do get it going again Ill be selling quickly

That's bad news :(

How are the sparkplugs and sparkplug cables? Have they ever been replaced?

Have you taken the plugs out and checked for a good spark when the car is misbehaving?

Have you taken the plugs out and checked for a good spark when the car is misbehaving?

Yeah, do that.

Remove a spark-plug(or use other spark-plug that you have laying around), connect it to the spark-plug lead, and while holding the screw part of the spark-plug against a part of the engine that is connected to ground, ask someone to turn the key and see if there is any spark in the spark-plug.

Be careful how you hold the spark-plug, you don't want to get electrified B)
Hold the spark on the lead and as far away from the spark-plug as possible :D

Ignore the round thing with the red sticker, its the LPG filter :blush:

I tried this again to day after leaving it lie up since the last time, id been using another vehicle, Its just like what happened in the video, its cranking but it wont fire
I unscrewed the distributer cap and gave the little metal tip a light rub with sandpaper, I then sprayed it with some WD40 lol Im a sucker for that stuff
put all parts back together and it fired up atraight away ao I think you are right after all, Its a distributer problem, cheers dude

I tried this again to day after leaving it lie up since the last time, id been using another vehicle, Its just like what happened in the video, its cranking but it wont fire
I unscrewed the distributer cap and gave the little metal tip a light rub with sandpaper, I then sprayed it with some WD40 lol Im a sucker for that stuff
put all parts back together and it fired up atraight away ao I think you are right after all, Its a distributer problem, cheers dude

Great ;)
Now you know what to do, buy a new distributor cap and rotor :blush:

hi m8 good you got it going, defos do as skhell says and pop a new distributor cap & rotor arm on it.

keep us updated on this as i have seen this happen to other honda engines of the same desgin and it turnes out to be the coil pack. (common problem)

but if yours is fixed then awesome 1 !