What's new

2.2 ctdi noise and smoke cloud. May be a goner.

Thanks for the input.

I did not clean the oil lines before I fitted it. good tip for next time thanks

Have blanked the codes and just been on a 70mile test run
had trouble making it go wrong again.

My previous turbo had a huge dead spot but would then recover ( possibly sticky vanes)
I just lived with it.

This one seemed to have cured the problem but now its back very similar

I have had the Dongle plugged in and realtime boost pressure displayed on my phone

The boost suddenly drops down to 10 ish psi and then recovers

I kept booting it to recreate the fault but it took ages

if you come off the throttle at 90 ish and then stamp on it again you can get the boost to peak at 23.5

Most times this then drops off to 17 or 19

eventually it stayed at 23.5 for a prolonged period (5 secs) and this caused the same fault . Limp mode and engine light. code p1236 overboost

None of the other codes re appeared so I hope they were just caused by me working on it/ the turbo filling everything with oil.

Is there anything I can do about this or should I just hope it recovers as you have suggested. I would have thought that if I am gentle with it it wont happen, I could drive round it.

Having a wifi osb11 dongle/reader is fantastic can believe I didn't have one sooner.

Thanks everyone for your help with this

I will have a fiddle with the actuator in the morning as you suggest F6had
I tried it before fitting and was not convinced that the range of movement was complete
The Knackered one could not be moved at all

Clean off any debris with a wire brush from the rod and linkage area and apply some grease and just work it free.

What is the condition of your egr and intake manifold? When logging with your obd you need to be logging both the target and actual. The boost drop may be requested in the map due to something else happening such as an egr leak. Any exception relating to map, maf and egr can cause a boost issue.

Thanks F6had
I was just using the free torque app so I am guessing that logging and logging of requested boost are not available on the freebe .
I was just watching the boost gage.

What app / software should I buy ?

As far as I can tell the inlet and egr are ok. I swapped the egr out previously with another second hand one. I put 12 volts across it to check the operation. it did not help then. I still have the original I may try swapping back as a load of oil must have gone through the one on the car.

The car especially from cold dosent accelerate well, after a couple of goes it recovers back to normal and accelerates fine. I am guessing that this is the vanes too.

Have lubed and wobbled the actuator rod

I am worried about the timing chain before I put any more effort into fixing it.
It sounds ok, nowhere near as bad as some on here.
That said there is an irregular clack noise. sounds like a nut rattling inside possibly the cam cover.
Hard to pin the location down but it seems to be from the left end of the cam.

Could this noise be chain slap and a warning not to waste my time.

What is the first sign of failure

I have added a link to a vid of the engine running

Thanks everyone with your on going help
Si

As mentioned earlier , remove the serpentine belt and run the engine for a short while.If your noise stops you know something driven by it is the cause.

It sounds like chains to me, but check anyway.

T.J.