What's new

2.2 i-ctdi Flashing glow plug light and p0116(86)

Well, I'll do a last update on the tread. Today I cleaned the MAF, because I missed sufficient accel after 3000 rpm and I can say that I think this was the major problem. I can get boost and hard accel till red. I'm seeing the occasional black exhaust puf when reving in red for the first time on this car. I still have no idea what to do with the IMRC. I made a filter, but still getting the fault. How restrictive should this filter be? And finally I think that blanking the EGR will be very good, but I have no time to do it cause it needs programming.

Not much point in blanking the EGR if the car is running well. It won't help the IMRC problem, which is almost certainly a failing Frequency Solenoid Valve.

The FSV replacement filter needs to have minimal restriction, which is why I used a dust mask. But this won't fix the FSV if it's failing due to an internal vacuum leak (which is the common failure mode). P2004 does not impact upon performance but, in my experience, does cause smoke under hard acceleration.

^^ I wouldn't agree with that actually. Once the imrc is running freely, blanking the egr will ensure no further ingress of soot which is what causes them to fail in the first place.

I'm not saying that the IMRC can't ever soot up and so give rise to P2006, P2008 and P2016 IMRC error codes, however searches of Honda forums (including this one) for P2004 almost always suggest that the FSV is to blame (specifically the FSV filter was blocked on mine).

Luckily, it's very easy to check that the IMRC moves freely by simply gently moving the linkage from the butterfly ***embly to the vacuum bellows. There is also a specific HDS test routine for IMRC position.

Yep but the solenoid valve is burning out due to restricted movement in the imrc. I've known people to change them only for them to burn out again months later, and when you check the intake it's always due to a major blockage from egr soot accumulation...

I'm going to drive like this. I once had a Vauxhall 1.9 ctdi and it was problem after problem with sticking EGR and broken swirl flaps. I find the Honda design with a single swirl flap much better in terms of faults. But there is no way out of the situation except the EGR delete. On the Vauxhall I unplugged the EGR and drove without a single fault over 60k miles. People say that deleting makes EGT much higher and harms the turbo, but I have no such experience. I'm considering going back to petrol engines because I'm tired of turbos, swirl flaps and DMFs :D.

no issue in turbo damage by closing the egr on a honda. It can cause issues with certain vehicles that have small turbos where the egr is used to relieve excess boost pressures, such as the PD105 VW engines.