What's new

2.2 I-ctdi problem

JonnyMac7

Reaction score
Car
executive tourer mk7
Hi Guys,

New member here, I think I posted this query in the wrong thread yesterday.

Basically, I fell behind with getting my 04 exec tourer serviced (life demands just got in the way) and I think I’ve killed my car..

It started with a noise like an air brake hiss, then the engine rattled like a bag of spanners, The oil light came on.. I drove slowly home as it happened not far from my house, the rattle became a grinding sound, could smell burning and smoke from the oil filler hole. The engine doesn’t like starting, but will eventually.

Any ideas, help, advice on decent mechanic in East Sussex more than welcome.

Cheers,

John

Probably a blown turbo or possibly oil pump chain. Is your oil pressure warning light on? Without stating the obvious you really shouldn’t be starting the engine if you want to try and salvage it in some way..

Probably a blown turbo or possibly oil pump chain. Is your oil pressure warning light on? Without stating the obvious you really shouldn’t be starting the engine if you want to try and salvage it in some way..
Hi, I had thought oil pump chain, the his did sound like it had a kerching sound as it went, oil pressure warning light as in the little red oil can? Yep that came on instantly. I always understood that meant it’s game over if that comes on, the oil level was ok but it needed a service. I didn’t drive it far like that but got stuck in town traffic. Cut the engine at a level crossing and struggled to restart.

I don’t want to restart it to record the sound to be honest. Just to say it is rough.

So it is potentially salvageable? I love this car.

How much likely to replace either the turbo or chain? Any advice on independent Honda/decent mechanic in East Sussex?

If you’re wanting to keep the car, I would argue it’s cheaper to replace the engine. They’re old cars now, not always worth the hassle of repairing.

If the oil pressure light came on and you didn't kill the engine within a few seconds it's toast. Given that you said you drove it home with no oil pressure, that engine is beyond a rebuild.
Look into getting a replacement engine swapped in or scrap/part out the car and get another one.

Thanks for the advice, I work on buildings, not cars.. what’s that likely to cost?

If you can find a cheap engine and reasonable mechanic I would budget minimum £1000 all in. Too many variables to give you an accurate figure. I would suggest shopping around and getting a proper diagnosis first.

If the oil pressure light came on and you didn't kill the engine within a few seconds it's toast. Given that you said you drove it home with no oil pressure, that engine is beyond a rebuild.
Look into getting a replacement engine swapped in or scrap/part out the car and get another one.
If you can find a cheap engine and reasonable mechanic I would budget minimum £1000 all in. Too many variables to give you an accurate figure. I would suggest shopping around and getting a proper diagnosis first.
Really appreciate the input, thanks.

I went to a mechanic nearby and he took a look at the dipstick and said the oil was full of metal. It had a greyish tint to it. Sadly it’s done for. I’ve been all over the place in her, great memories.. I think it’s time for her to be put to bed for good as I know I’ve got bushes on the suspension to get done, anti-roll bar, new tyres all round.. there was a funky whistle from the turbo too..

H-RV or a Civic are on the watch list.

Great forum btw, thanks for the replies everyone.