What's new

2.2 i-dtec vibrations from 40mph to 80mph

knight3r

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord mk8
Hello and Happy New Year All!!!!!

I am going through hell trying to find what is causing the vibrations in my Accord 2010 2.2 i-dtec tourer. The problem is that when I go above 40mph I can feel the car shaking. It is not happening only under acceleration but even when I put the car in neutral at 70mph. I have replaced the alloys, tyres, brake discs and pads and the problem still present. I ended up ordering new drive shafts yesterday but I am not sure if this will sort the problem so they are not fitted yet (been told if it's the driveshaft the problem will only present under acceleration but that's not the case) . Every bit of help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Based on your last PM to me If you know you have play in the driveshaft then I would definitely replace them to eliminate that. In my experience however driveshaft issues don’t manifest when the car is coasting. These cars aren’t that complicated so it can’t really be many things. Is the vibration worse when you accelerate or does it remain the same?

Based on your last PM to me If you know you have play in the driveshaft then I would definitely replace them to eliminate that. In my experience however driveshaft issues don’t manifest when the car is coasting. These cars aren’t that complicated so it can’t really be many things. Is the vibration worse when you accelerate or does it remain the same?
When I go over 60 it becomes more violent.

When I go over 60 it becomes more violent.
I would say driveshafts need to be done first and then see if it fully or partially cures it. The fact you have play in them suggests there is an issue.

I would say driveshafts need to be done first and then see if it fully or partially cures it. The fact you have play in them suggests there is an issue.
I will get them done next week and update the post with the results to help others. Thanks for taking the time try help out.

Update: Driveshafts were replaced. Vibration after 70mph is gone and the car is smoother than before. However, there is some vibration/shaking left in the speed range between 60 and 70 and I am ***uming this would be the track rod ends. I will be doing that + tracking when I have some free time and will update the post again.

Good update. Have your wheels balanced on a road force machine first

ive got a simular vibration in mine, 2.4 petrol, got a drive shaft and intermediate shaft to go in it, if that doesnt solve it i reckon theres a bearing worn in the gearbox

It could be so many things unfortunately. The repair for such an issue is hit-miss. I am getting track rod ends done in a week. Then probably engine/gearbox mounts. It also could be shock absorbers.. Horrible!

i have the luxury of running a garage so i have access to ramps with shaker plates and a rolling road ect and im still struggling to find the issue

Unless your track ends have play I would be surprised if they’re the cause, but for the sake of a few quid I guess worth eliminating.

Unless your track ends have play I would be surprised if they’re the cause, but for the sake of a few quid I guess worth eliminating.
The ball joints rubber boot is worn so I just ordered x2 new track rod ends. I have spent loads already so don't care anymore.. The track rod ends were 45 for pair so not a big deal tbh..

Update: Instead of doing 70mph in 6th gear at low rpms, I tested 5th gear with the same speed (at approx 2500RPM) and there are no vibrations at all. I did the same driving in higher RMPS on all gears and the vibrations only show at around 2000rpm or lower. I am ***uming it's the engine mounts.

Yes with those results I would be leaning towards engine mount/s

Have you had someone looking at the engine whilst parked up ?

You might be able to do same by pulling on the throttle cable and rocking the engine around.