What's new

2001 Accord Sport issues with brakes

slide

Reaction score
Car
2001 VTEC Sport
I've recently got my second accord and today took front wheels off to replace the anti roll bar linkages, however I noticed the break pads are permanently touching the discs, on the back wheels there is a clear separation... This would explain the very slight noise I can hear whilst driving.

So I'm wondering what would cause this, and how to go about fixing it.

I suspect once the problem has been fixed, the pads would need replacing, possibly discs as well?

Thanks in advance for replies

Hi Dave, Don't know for sure if this is the problem but it may be the 2 sliders are stuck or sticking(the ones with the little rubber bellows on)and not allowing the caliper to return after braking???

I've just replaced the disks and pads on all 4 wheels and I had a stuck slider on one front and one rear and could hear a rubbing noise when driving.

You will have to remove the slider and check the pins are free and if not then what I did was hold the slider frame in a vice squirt some plus gas on the pin and turn the pin with a spanner until it's free enough to come out then clean up the pin and the hole add some copper grease and it should be job done :) .

Hope this helps,
Pete :) .

Your brakes could be jammed in the carriers too. (here is an non Honda example)

Take the caliper off, you might need to pry out the pads then preferably take the carrier ***embly off (think its two 17mm bolts on at 80ft-lb so will need a bit of force to undo them). You can of course leave the carrier ***embly on and clean in situ like here....

IMAG0443_tn1_zps9e176935.jpg

Then brake cleaner spray and wire brush were the pads were sitting, get them as clean as you can and then reassemble. Clean up the edges of the pads backing plate, lick of copper grease and slide them in the carriers.

IMAG0446_tn1_zps4e6a1ff5.jpg

IMAG0450_tn1_zps96f65f32.jpg

Its preferable to use a rubber safe grease/silicone on the slide pins, apparently other greases can perish the rubber boots. ;)

Hey Dave

Welcome to the forum, yeah mine is a Accord 01 too which had similar problem,

bascially moisture got into the caliper piston and resulting rust build up inside,

so piston is not retracting properly, hence sticky caliper/brakes

my trusty mechanic frd took the caliper piston out, gave it good grinding to get rid of rust and its working better now.

i have seen caliper repair kit for sale wch makes the repair complete

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-Rear-Brake-Caliper-Repair-Kit-3845-/281097044217?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AAccord&hash=item4172b080f9

hope u enjoy ur new Accord dude