What's new

2002 Euro R - air con issues

horsemeatscandal

Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Euro R
Hello all,

New here and new to Accord ownership! Thanks for havin' me.

The air con in my car is out. It doesn't need a regas, there are no leaks, relay is fine and the compressor is working. I've had an auto electrician look at it and he's stumped and has had to contact Honda for some wiring diagrams or some such. But I've had a thought which I've not had chance to mention to him yet...

The car originally had a Japanese touch screen through which you controlled the air con. Before I picked the car up, the touch screen broke so the dealership swapped the head unit for a standard UK one. While everything else works on this head unit (stereo controls, fan speed, even displays 'AC ON' and 'AC OFF'), could it be that swapping the head units over has had some effect on the connection between the AC button being pressed and the compressor actually firing up? Or am I clutching at straws?

Any ideas on this one?

Last edited:
Yep it is almost certainly this. Is the head unit fitted from a petrol or diesel? I know you fit an aftermarket head unit to a diesel which was designed for the petrol it will stop the aircon working, so highly plausible that the internal relay in your replacement climate unit isn’t working as it should for your import.

Yep it is almost certainly this. Is the head unit fitted from a petrol or diesel? I know you fit an aftermarket head unit to a diesel which was designed for the petrol it will stop the aircon working, so highly plausible that the internal relay in your replacement climate unit isn’t working as it should for your import.

Thanks mate. Not sure if it's diesel but all signs are pointing towards this. Auto electrician agrees. Going to send the original off for repair, they had to change the wiring loom for the replacement too so that'll need done too. To be fair, I think they said the screen worked but wasn't backlit so can't see it at night. That wouldn't bother me too much if it had to stay like that.

So I've found one from a petrol on eBay, but the vast majority are from diesels which would suggest they are more popular/available, hence why mine is probably a diesel. I'm gonna try this first then if that doesn't work I'll get the original Japanese one repaired.... And if that doesn't work then I don't know.

Get one of those aftermarket Chinese ones with a touchscreen that will work

Glad it’s sorted and thanks for reporting back.