What's new

2007 Accord CTDI 2.2 Sport

Andymac

Members
Reaction score
Car
CTDI 2.2 Sport
Over the last few weeks my car has taken longer to start until finally it would not start at all. If I got a jump start it was fine.
I replaced the battery but noticed that the yellow coil light did not always come on but did when getting a jump start when coil light came on car started fine. I then changed the Glow Plug Control Unit but same problem.
The car sometimes starts now but can take anything from right away to 15 minutes of turning key in the hope that the coil lights comes on.
Any suggestions?

You may be a victim of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25234840

I would get the fuel filter changed immediately.

Glowplugs are very easy to check using a multimeter. And then you use the multimeter to check that the feed to them is present. Takes about 5 minutes!

I doubt it's the fuel filter, as you'd be getting a P1065 and/or P0087 DTC and MIL would light up. But wouldn't hurt to change it, especially if it hasn't been changed recently or isn't the exact part as spec'd by Honda (so Bosch for pre-facelift or Denso for facelift).

You may be a victim of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25234840

I would get the fuel filter changed immediately.

It is an electrical fault somewhere due to the coil light not coming on to allow the car to start, it is as if something is draining the life from the battery whilst switched off sufficiently to not have the voltage to heat the glow plugs.
As I said before if you jump start it from another car it starts immediately.

Does the starter crank over just the same whether being jumped or not?

The starter motor draws far more current from the battery than the glowplugs do.

Does the starter crank over just the same whether being jumped or not?

The starter motor draws far more current from the battery than the glowplugs do.

The starter cranks over fine with or without a jump.

RAC reckon it could be the keys need recoding as green key light flashes when key is inserted (both my keys)

Probably not the keys but rather a goosed ECU. Not sure why or how it's happened though mate.

Immobiliser issue if green key is flashing, have a search a member some while back had to replace the ecu I think? Has the green key always flashed when non starting. Have a search I'm sure his problem was intermittent, or was it on the old forum?

Immobiliser issue if green key is flashing, have a search a member some while back had to replace the ecu I think? Has the green key always flashed when non starting. Have a search I'm sure his problem was intermittent, or was it on the old forum?

had the keys checked and they are fine, will I need to go to a Honda dealer to get the ECU sorted?

Yes - really, although we can normally code a new ECU in if you can get one.. Only issue is your location I'm afraid.

F6HAD said:
Probably not the keys but rather a goosed ECU. Not sure why or how it's happened though mate.
Thank you for the advice, I advised my car mechanic to get the ECU tested and that was the problem, There was a burnt out circuit board which all in cost £350 to be put right.

Not a bad result mate.. I suspect a voltage spike may have caused it. Have you had a battery booster connected to it at all or was there any evidence of ingress of water?