What's new

8th Gen Diesel noise

fowdphill

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Accord Tourer
Changed my 06 tourer for a 8th gen tourer and so far I am very happy with the car and apart from the reduction in load capacity most things are better on the 8th especially as my previous tourer was a pre face lift. One thing I have noticed and was wondering if any one out there thinks the same, the engine noise at low speeds is a lot more audible than I can remember in my old tourer. In fact the engine noise has changed. My old tourer made more of a whirring noise and not the typical Diesel rattle, the new tourer sounds just like any other diesel and at low speeds rattles along like an old transit. Once on the move the car becomes a lot more refined and is smoother than the older diesel with less turbo lag. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Phill, many of us feel the ICTDI was a quieter and smoother engine than the new IDTEC - it's mainly down to the IDTEC being a Euro 5 compliant engine with a different injection system.

Technically the IDTEC is superior but in terms of refinement, my vote is still with the ICTDI.

I do know that Honda released a software update which reduces some of the engine noise so worth checking with your Honda dealer on this.

I agree the dtec is refined at speed but quite noisy at idle,i turn the radio up a bit when in traffic and often glance over to see if there is an old transit
there,have to say though it doesn't bother me,if we want silence it would have to be a petrol of some kind...

OK so if it ain't the injectors - what is the rattle?

Thanks for the Info Guys.I will ask the dealer next time it is in to see if the changes have been made. It is not a real problem but does take the edge away a little from an otherwise refined car especially as the ICDTI was a departure away from the standard diesel. Being a petrol head at heart I do have more of a leaning towards petrol engines but like the torque and tractability of a turbo Diesel, and in todays driving conditions with the amount of miles I cover a diesel makes sense. If fuel was not an issue I think I would go for the 2.4.

Had mine in for the urgent recall today, which includes an up-date for the ECU software, and it is now much quieter.