What's new

Accord diesel cuts off after 3500 rpm help please

AndrewWhad

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi everyone happy to find the forum.

I have recently bought an Accord and am I need of a bit of help!

The car is amazing, Accord 2.2 diesel Exec drives fine but in 3rd gear if I accelerate over 3500 rpm the car starts to shake real bad and if I accelerate harder the engine dies completely and will only start after 10 min of continuously trying to start the engine.

The odd thing is it only does this in the 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, on the 1st and 2nd I can go all the way to 4.00 rpm.
I tried a diesel treatment solution and good diesel but finished the whole tank and I still have the problem. I would like to add that I only accelerate when the engine is warm enough!

Also another odd thing is that the DVD unit is displaying DVD is reading an error and I won't let me insert a DVD and I when pressing eject nothing comes out. Could there be a DVD inside that's broken ?

Any ideas on what might be wrong are welcome

Sounds like a fuel related problem really.. Has it been checked by a mechanic, for obvious things like fuel issues, boost, induction, pipework etc?

When was the fuel filter last renewed?

Do you get any engine warning lights?

The disc in your drive is probably jammed. The same thing happened on my wife's FRV Satnav unit and we had to take the drive apart to sort the mechanism out.

Hi new oil and filters 5000 miles ago and no engine lights.

I will take it to a mechanic eventualy but was hoping to get rough ideea of what it might be (saves a bit on the bill)

I think it's the same thing with the disc ! Was it complicated to take it out ?

Andrew was a genuin FF used when changed.

Andrew was a genuin FF used when changed.
This is important, these engines are oddly fussy about some (most?) aftermarket fuel filters and many members have discovered this to their cost... it might seem OK to begin with, but a non-standard filter can cause excess restriction after a short time. You appear to be suggesting the car has 5 gears, so I'm ***uming it's a pre-facelift... in which case the standard fuel filter should be a Bosch unit with a part number ending in 442 (hopefully you can at least see the make).

As Fahad has already said, it sounds like a fuel problem, but strange you're not getting any ECU error messages coming up (there are some specific to low fuel pressures in different parts of the system). Might be worth having the ECU read using an OBD2 reader to see what stored codes may be there.

Welcome to TA!

They're a bit fiddly but be patient and use some common sense and it's doable at home... there's no guides i'm afraid, you just have to find your way with it.

They're a bit fiddly but be patient and use some common sense and it's doable at home... there's no guides i'm afraid, you just have to find your way with it.
If we're talking about the fuel filter (which I think we are), then there is an excellent guide to servicing the pre-facelift diesel which includes a brilliant section on replacing the fuel filter. It's actually written by some bloke called Fahad... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/118-diy-full-engine-service-on-the-pre-facelift-i-ctdi-accord/

You will need a decent socket set with extension pieces and universal drives. Small girlish hands are also an ***et, but you'll manage if you stick at it. For a regular service item it's held in place with a stupidly inaccessible clamp.

I didn't check the fuel filter but it does make sense ! I order a new fuel filter and change it to see what happens. Will keep you posted !

Make sure it's a genuine Honda Fuel Filter. Not OEM fuel filters are more trouble than they're worth. Everyone here who's tried non-genuine has continued to have problems until a genuine part is fitted.