What's new

After market Air intake

whereami

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type-S 04
Soon I will start my quest to make modifications to my Honda 2.4 Type S. The first modification which seems to be on my mind is an after market air intake. Which one do you guys recommend?

found this on ebay, is it the one to go for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-Typhoon-Intake-69-1209TS-HONDA-Accord-2-4i-04-07-/390325849206?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae13bcc76#ht_3792wt_1054

Thanks

Rob

K&n typhoon kit is good and iv heard good reviews about it bud,shame theres nothing for the diesel engines :(

Intake kits are only worth while if you going to couple it with a freer flowing out let its all well and good letting more air in but if you cannot get the exhaust out quick enough you can hurt performance or at best get more noise and no performance gains. As far as cat back goes the 2.4is actually not that bad as far as stock exhausts go obviously there room for improvement but from what i gather there is some spare capacity cat back. The header needs to be looked at in conjunction with any intake kit if gains are to be seen, on a budget the dc sports header is good bang for buck and if money is no issue look at the likes of the toda header and similar, see heeltoe auto website for ideas. In terms of intake unless you looking at upgrading the header i would hold of on anything major and opt for a freer flowing panel filter replacement k&N or spoon unless its just the noise your after then K&N or aem vboth do nice kits, going top end your looking at better returns interms of hp but only coupled with other breathing mods look at gruppe m or mugen to name a couple. tbh imho its better to plan the mods bolt on or otherwise to ensure max return. Good hunting and happy modding.

Typhoon rocks! Just make sure it is the CAI one that sits in the wing and not the short ram.

Guys have a look at this, Its a very cheap way of getting a short ram induction kit. Suffian this will defo be of interest to you as i am sure you could knock something up for the ICDTI with the same method.

Sure it does not look as pretty as a K&N but it will give pretty much the same results as a 57i kit.

http://www.sca40.com/intake/

My kid brother bought a new Typhoon for his K24 and its been sat in the house for 3 weeks now. Poor kid is waiting for me to fit it but there's always one thing or another to do and now it's snowing. Will let you know once it's on, but I have to say it's bloody expensive for an air filter.

Guys have a look at this, Its a very cheap way of getting a short ram induction kit. Suffian this will defo be of interest to you as i am sure you could knock something up for the ICDTI with the same method.

Sure it does not look as pretty as a K&N but it will give pretty much the same results as a 57i kit.

http://www.sca40.com/intake/
Thanks for that link neil bro,it did prove to be an interesting read,im just wondering a cone filter like k&n or aem have not been created for the diesel accord(as far as im aware)especially with alot of people doing remaps on diesels..i thought the market for a suitable cold feed for the diesel engines would have been there. I am looking into modding or diying a custom cold short ram intake,but since our good friend nuno has attempted this he found a performance decrese in the lower rev range with the cone filter compared to stock...hmmm i need to tind out how this accord diesel engine runs what it likes and what it doesnt,can anyone confirm any difference after installing the pipecross filter from elite?wethaer it was sound or performance...?do you guys also think that pumping too much cold air will mess up the accord diesel engine?this mod will defo need carefull consideration..

hi Sufian, i had a go at this a coupla years ago....cdti with a long ram made up of 3 different ebay jobbies as a mock up down to the bumper intercooler side. worked well with no "hydrolic lock", although she lost alot of bottom end acceleration gains were mostly freed up on top end - in effect subtle turbo lag....went back to the drawing board and shortend the kit to a shorter version with heat shielding and makes a hell of a difference, slightly noticeable lower mpg in colder weather, nice sound on lift off of accelerator - chatters like a wastegate etc. the only thing to combat is space and pipework to incorporate the narrow filter space and ensuring the mass sensor is in right position havent had her dynod but after a remap by celtic seemed to run a bit more freely....jury out i guess think the derv bofins need to look at this anyone? al

hi Sufian, i had a go at this a coupla years ago....cdti with a long ram made up of 3 different ebay jobbies as a mock up down to the bumper intercooler side. worked well with no "hydrolic lock", although she lost alot of bottom end acceleration gains were mostly freed up on top end - in effect subtle turbo lag....went back to the drawing board and shortend the kit to a shorter version with heat shielding and makes a hell of a difference, slightly noticeable lower mpg in colder weather, nice sound on lift off of accelerator - chatters like a wastegate etc. the only thing to combat is space and pipework to incorporate the narrow filter space and ensuring the mass sensor is in right position havent had her dynod but after a remap by celtic seemed to run a bit more freely....jury out i guess think the derv bofins need to look at this anyone? al
Hey al bud thankyou for your helpfull input bud :) have you still got the short ram intake on the accord?as you mentioned and so did nuno there is a loss of bottom end acceleration,did it help with a shorter intake/pipework?your right about space bud,there is not much of it :( if you have pics or even a video of the setup bud that would be great.. :)

I still didn't gave up, but I would do it just for the sound, as long the performance didn't change. But even the sound is bit disappointing.
Either way, these carbon fiber boxes have good possibilities in fitting the tight space:

http://www.bmcairfilter.it/carbon-dynamic-airbox_prd_pr3_4_1.aspx
Its the bottom end acceleration that i trying to figure out nuno bud,creadit to you for trying buddy,i wonder why there is loss in lower end acceleration....?

That's a good question.
In normal aspirated cars (non-turbos) the short ram air filters give more power at low revs and are less efficient at high revs. A good solution for Hondas use to be the AEM long rams, because they benefited the vtec rpm range.
In the diesel, I think the short or the long rams have no use, because they somehow "get in the way" or make the already efficient work of the intercooler and the turbo less efficient.
Just wished for a kit that kept the performance the same, with a little grunt.

But hey, that's what back boxes are for.
wink.gif

That's a good question.
In normal aspirated cars (non-turbos) the short ram air filters give more power at low revs and are less efficient at high revs. A good solution for Hondas use to be the AEM long rams, because they benefited the vtec rpm range.
In the diesel, I think the short or the long rams have no use, because they somehow "get in the way" or make the already efficient work of the intercooler and the turbo less efficient.
Just wished for a kit that kept the performance the same, with a little grunt.

But hey, that's what back boxes are for.
wink.gif
I guess your right bud,this mod will be difficult to get correct,im going to research the exsisting filter and see what makes that so effiencent and keeps the low end acceleration good...i foresee alot of reading :lol:

I've read a lot about diesel air induction, and the long or short aftermarket kits are mostly useless. The turbo and the intercooler do all the job already.

I've read a lot about diesel air induction, and the long or short aftermarket kits are mostly useless. The turbo and the intercooler do all the job already.
I guess this is dead end one then bro :(

Yep, the intercooler makes the air cooler and the turbo makes it denser and faster. That's more or less the result we get in non aspirated cars with aftermarket induction kits.

Yep, the intercooler makes the air cooler and the turbo makes it denser and faster. That's more or less the result we get in non aspirated cars with aftermarket induction kits.
Bigger turbo and intercooler it is then bro ;) :D

Been reading up on civic info,they attempted/ing something similar,again loss of power on low end,o guess thats the difference with the diesel turbo's and the petrol ones,where diesel engines need more compression rather than air for combustion...

But then you have the Derv 1st gear issue :(

this seems like a no goer dan bud,just like the civic guys,it comes to a dead end...stock is better than aftermarket....

this seems like a no goer dan bud,just like the civic guys,it comes to a dead end...stock is better than aftermarket....

Ah get it, now your running a diesel doh, ok sorry have got the mobile version of the site on my galaxy tab im kinda missing the details of what spec cars people have. When it comes to the dervs i will bow out of this with have you had the remap yet? Again apologies the first reply i kinda ***umed as you were talkin induction that you were runnin a petrol. Good luck with modding

Wait one this started of about a 2.4 S when did it get shifted to a deisel thing. ?..im so confused just finished 20hr shift with 4 hours over time stop messing with my head, as for the kit look for a CAI whih will maximise performance gains, but we are not talking much in the way of gains without other mods, but it will add plentyof drama in terms of noise as you climb the revs. But spoon and k&n do a drop in replacement filterwhich will help breathing and give similar gains to the CAI but with out the loss of low rpm pull.

Ah get it, now your running a diesel doh, ok sorry have got the mobile version of the site on my galaxy tab im kinda missing the details of what spec cars people have. When it comes to the dervs i will bow out of this with have you had the remap yet? Again apologies the first reply i kinda ***umed as you were talkin induction that you were runnin a petrol. Good luck with modding

Wait one this started of about a 2.4 S when did it get shifted to a deisel thing. ?..im so confused just finished 20hr shift with 4 hours over time stop messing with my head, as for the kit look for a CAI whih will maximise performance gains, but we are not talking much in the way of gains without other mods, but it will add plentyof drama in terms of noise as you climb the revs. But spoon and k&n do a drop in replacement filterwhich will help breathing and give similar gains to the CAI but with out the loss of low rpm pull.

lol...its cool dan bud, and your first post was correct for the petrol,but the thread turned into a diesel induction discussion lol,