What's new

Air con noise

vile

T A Terminator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
8th gen 2.4 Manual
Ok guys just noted on M4 drive home today a strange noise.

The noise was a very quiet but high pitched noise almost like the annoying mosquito ring tone years ago.
I found out it was the air con.As this seemed to happen every time the compressor kicked in.
Does anyone else have this.

Cannot say mine makes that noise Brett, but there again mine's got a noisy diesel donk in it so it might :unsure: :D

Cannot say mine makes that noise Brett, but there again mine's got a noisy diesel donk in it so it might :unsure: :D
Its funny because i nether had it in my old car unless its a little gremlin

hey Brett

Congrats on the new 8th Gen!

Again, mines a diesel and even at idle withthe air con on - mine is quiet - you may have a gremlin. It could just be that the car hasnt been used in a while and needs to run in etc. I'd give it a week and see how you get on.

hey Brett

Congrats on the new 8th Gen!

Again, mines a diesel and even at idle withthe air con on - mine is quiet - you may have a gremlin. It could just be that the car hasnt been used in a while and needs to run in etc. I'd give it a week and see how you get on.
I will try today and see what happens in sure though it was only doing this at speed.
And cheers mate its a lovely car.I think the seats are better than the 7th gen and the brakes are great.

Unfortunately I cant compare to a 7th Gen as I havent owned one, but I agree - 8th Gen seats are a dream!

I see yours is an EX like mine - any ADAS etc on it??

CJ the noise does it on auto as well.Its odd but only seems to happen over 30 MPH :unsure:
As i said its a quiet high pitched sound that does it the same time as the compressor kicks in then stops and starts in tune.

is this with the radio off? i havnt come accross this before i must admit. could possibly be the compressor clutch itself if it happens only when it kicks in. do you have to strain to hear it or is it quite noticeable? allways difficult without hearing it first hand lol

Its not that noticeable but almost an annoying sound in the back ground of road noise.

Will do mate not to worried as got 2 years warranty ;) but will get this checked as a precaution.

you wont be need to use that warranty dude there isn't a single major TSB for the petrols it clean as whistle.
happy112.gif
I shall have a good invest tomorrow.Buy the way the previous owner was the sales manager :lol:

Just an update on this i finally managed to get to the dealers after months :rolleyes:
The tech guy test drove my car today with the air con on and at 3k rpm he agreed there was a strange noise.
He also noticed the passenger head rest was rattly as i said in another thread.
So car goes in on Wednesday for a full inspection under warranty.
I will post up the problem when i no more.

Just an update on this i finally managed to get to the dealers after months :rolleyes:
The tech guy test drove my car today with the air con on and at 3k rpm he agreed there was a strange noise.
He also noticed the passenger head rest was rattly as i said in another thread.
So car goes in on Wednesday for a full inspection under warranty.
I will post up the problem when i no more.

Good stuff Brett.

They'll sort those niggles out for you and then you can be worry-free :)

Very true that's what a warranty is for and make full use of it :)

Another way to look at it is this:

While under warranty, Honda are sorting out what are essentially small issues. Other car OEMs hae countless recalls and other quality issues of bigger proportions and fail to fix them under warranty.

We're lucky Honda takes things seriously at the first time of asking unlike other car makers.