What's new

Airtronic & Hydronic - Cabin Heat

DiD

Members
Reaction score
Car
CN1
Hi everyone. I bought my first diesel, a 2004 Accord, in October. Along with the keys came a remote controller which i thought it was for an after market alarm system. To make a long story short i found out that my car is equipped with an "Eberspächer" cabin heat unit. I have googled them and came to found that many people use this solution for diesels as well to compensate for the cold starts and long warm up time. I have not tested it yet (will be in 2 hours though, it`s 0° C), but in the commercial videos i have seen that you can turn this on to heat the cabin without the engine running, but i haven`t determined yet how battery consuming that is. Moreover there are two types of units; airtronic and hydronic, which differ in their operation and heating means: airtronic heats incoming air when hydronic heats up cooling fluid. I think i will have to give the previous owner a call and ask for information. Has anyone used this before or has relative experience?

I've no experience of that, it might be an unnecessary add-on on the Accord diesel because I believe that the aircon on the diesel works in reverse when the temperatures are cold i.e. the aircon pulls heat out of the condenser and pushes heat out of the evaporator. Note that the aircon on the Accord petrol models are much simpler one-way units as those engines warm up more quickly.

Might be the placebo effect, but i got warm air inside the cabin in 2-3 minutes when normally takes about 10'.

^ I notice you're in Munch, I worked there from January to May 2005 and it was much colder than here, so you could be right.

Have you determined yet how much battery power it would take, any info on the current it pulls ?

Personally I doubt if the battery would be suitable to start the engine afterwards in really cold temperatures, maybe very useful somewhere like Canada where I understand that there are plug-in points to keep engines warm in severe winter conditions.

Hey, sorry for such late response but haven`t been on the internet for ages. Turns out that it doesn`t use any electrical energy to run. I runs on diesel (in my case), and has minimal consumption. This device actually works, especially in cold morning start up`s. Well chufed!

I had a (petrol) 1983 BMW 528i that had a reversible chemical/crystal reaction 'thing' around the exhaust system that was able to store energy and so provide cabin heat the next morning without having to start the engine... it didn't work very well, but the car was 10 years old and a bit neglected when I had it. The system had a German name that I cannot remember.