What's new

Alloy wheel paint flaked

whereami

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type-S 04
I washed my car before I set off from Scotland, and the alloy paint on the wheels flaked off in some places! so lads do I or can I do the following, touch up the patches which flaked off by sanding down the area where it happened, add priming paint to the area and respray? or is this school boy error and I really need to sand the whole wheel down?

thanks for any advice

Rob
( also I am not looking for perfection as my wife kindly said I can have a new set in a couple of months!!! so get the ideas in for a hot set I could own :p )

If your getting a new set soon then I wouldnt even bother. Patching up the wheels will look odd so really you need to rub the whole wheel down and then paint. Colour matching will be difficult.

If your getting a new set soon then I wouldnt even bother. Patching up the wheels will look odd so really you need to rub the whole wheel down and then paint. Colour matching will be difficult.

Thanks, I think your right! better start saving and shopping!

Thanks, I think your right! better start saving and shopping!

Unless you know what you are doing then leave them well alone. You will probably be selling them when you get your new set and no one wants to buy something that has been badly repaired.

You could however get a "smart repair" from the likes of "Chips Away". They visit a number of car dealers in the Edinburgh area and repair brand new cars with alloy wheel damage, I've seen their work and it's flawless.

Patching up the wheels will look odd so really you need to rub the whole wheel down and then paint. Colour matching will be difficult.

I had my original 16 inch wheels sandblasted, and fully re-sprayed over here in Ireland for 250. Not much good to you, but they do look very nice when they're all polished up!

I had my original 16 inch wheels sandblasted, and fully re-sprayed over here in Ireland for 250. Not much good to you, but they do look very nice when they're all polished up!

not a bad idea, I see if anyone does it in devon, prob not, so new ones maybe more on the cards, :p