What's new

Are these DIY Jobs?

Carter

Members
Reaction score
Car
03 2.4 Ex Tourer
Got my air con re-gassed and the dealer reported £1,333 of additional work required/advised! The biggest chunk is replacing the corroded AC condensor, plus new seals and pipes at £535 fitted, followed by renewing the front lower arm bushes at £216 (advised drop links may also be required at £131 fitted) . For OE parts and main dealer labour rates these prices aren't bad but if it's realsitic to do stuff myself I will, so...

Any special tools needed for the AC Condensor? Access doesn't look too tricky but what about the pipe joints? Anyone know an alternative source for condensors? Honda want £400 and ebay ones are all for the saloon, not tourer. There's leak dye in the system at the moment so it'll go back for check of source of any leaks, but even in the few days since the re-gas it's got decidendly un-chilly so I suspect the condesor is the culprit.

Likewise for the suspension bushes, does the whole lower arm need to come out? Is a press needed to get the bushes in and out? I'm reasonably handy but I'd be working in the street so limited in terms of garage equipment!

Although the main dealer said the bushes were for immediate action I know they ain't as it was MOT'd by Performance Tek a couple of weeks ago and he commented that 'the bushes on these are usually hanging out, but yours aren't'. If needs be I'll get the work done in stages.

Thanks
Ian

You need a professional to collect and dispose of the AC gas. Very important this...

I wouldnt be too happy touching the condenser just because of the gas, the drop links are easy enough and ive just done the bushes in the arms on mine, they do need pressing in and out which i didnt have the tools for so i found it cheaper to just change the whole arm myself instead of getting someone to change the bushes, just got to make sure that the ball joint that fits to the arm is really secure after as its not cheap if it comes out as your driving.

£131 for drop links? Huh???

Reactions: Ian
Thanks folks. The re-gas lasted all of four days so it's long gone already I think! I might leave the bushes to a pro, I've bad memories of battling with ball joints. The £131 for both drop links fitted didn't seem a bad price as Honda are charging £50 a piece just for the parts.