What's new

Automatic transmission fluid

Leonard

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord EX 2008
Good morning all.

I have an 8th gen Honda Accord EX, automatic 5 speeds. It is literally the first year released for the 8th gen 2008.
I bought it second hand, not much service history, no idea if the transmission fluid has ever been changed. It drives good, shifts changes are good.
It has close to 90,000 miles, I was wondering if I should change the transmission fluid,in the owner manual it says to use ATF-Z1, however that has been replaced by ATF-DW1.
Is it a good idea to change the transmission fluid ? Should I change all of it if so ? It needs about 6 litres and a bit, for a full change, it says in the owners manual.
If I should change all of it, how do I do that, will all the fluid come out (all six litres and a bit) if undue the bolt on the automatic transmission, or I have to remove other parts too ?
Any help is much appreciated.
PS, I’m in London

Did my manual at@160k (bought it with 150k on it ) not too hard of a job and not as much fluid for the manual. You need to source new sealing washers beforehand, I needed 3 different ones if I remember correctly.
The old fluid didn't look too bad anyway. Just undid the drain bolt and it all came out.
Then put the new stuff in the side until it started to overflow.

Did my manual at@160k (bought it with 150k on it ) not too hard of a job and not as much fluid for the manual. You need to source new sealing washers beforehand, I needed 3 different ones if I remember correctly.
The old fluid didn't look too bad anyway. Just undid the drain bolt and it all came out.
Then put the new stuff in the side until it started to overflow.

To be honest I wanted a manual too, as my previous cars were all manual but have been convinced by my father in law opinion to get an automatic (it does help a lot going around London). However, from what I read I know Honda automatic transmission especially the previous model to mine had problems.
Now just need to get around it and make sure I do the correct maintenance of the automatic transmission, to make the most of the car.

Yep, a fluid change will do it a world of good. I had a Volvo T5 automatic and the gearbox was a known issue if you didn't change the fluid, even though Volvo said the gearbox fluid was for the life of the car. And it was very hard to do a total replacement so did 30% at a time, 3 times. Seemed to work, it had 195k on it when I sold it and no gear selector problems.

Yep, a fluid change will do it a world of good. I had a Volvo T5 automatic and the gearbox was a known issue if you didn't change the fluid, even though Volvo said the gearbox fluid was for the life of the car. And it was very hard to do a total replacement so did 30% at a time, 3 times. Seemed to work, it had 195k on it when I sold it and no gear selector problems.

Thank you, I am reading on another website that I should do just what you told me, do three drain and fill, however they say to run the car trough all the gears on the first and second fill (possibly third two). Do you think this would actually damage the transmission, as the existing friction material would be removed
?
Anyone else here please with an actual Honda with automatic transmission that have done the drain ??

Yes, definitely drive it in between fills, won't do any harm and is the only way the new fluid gets circulated.

Yes, definitely drive it in between fills, won't do any harm and is the only way the new fluid gets circulated.

Thank you. I do want to change all of it (or most with three drain and fills), hopefully will not have problems.