What's new

Best Clearcoat Repair Product

Conor1

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CTDI
Hey,

I've a few light scratches to my clear coat on various parts of the car, mostly the boot lid, nothing too deep.
Are there any products people here would recommend for the upkeep of the clear coat?

Conor

I'll have a look at that, can't for wrong for 99p lol.
But the scratches on the boot are very thin but spread out so i might need something that can be applied over a slightly bigger base than a pen.

You could also try some Autoglym paint restorer , bit like a T-cut , but better and not as abrasive, used this many times for light scratches.
Cheers Pete

if it's just light cratching on clear coat you need to machine polish with compound. If you do not have a machine look into hand polishes from the likes of meguires.
If the scratches are deep they you can gently build up the layers with base then clear and wet sand but then you will need to machine polish to remove the sanding marks, this does require skill, patience and practice!

Guys I am confused between autoglym paint restorer and t cut scratch remover.

Hoping to work on restoring some light scratches on my black accord. Please advise, also what is best to remover scratches from wimdscreen and headlights.

Thanks lovely people

Autoglym stuff is not quite as abrasive as the old T-cut, but even still you need to ensure you don't rub too hard continuously in one area as this can cause a blooming effect where you have affectively rubbed too hard and heated up that area damaging the laquer, as someone else has mentioned meguairs stuff is quite good also, if you have a look on their website.
Cheers Pete

T Cut is abrasive and can leave it's own defects.
when you say light scratches can you be a bit more specific. Can you get your finger nail in the scratch? Has it gone through the clear coat?

Salim
It is a combination of scratches and light chips on paintwork. Some scratches are light some are through paint I.e chips.

But mostly the black colour of my accord has gone a little dull can see little scratches in bright light.

ideally you will need a machine polish. But you can use Meguires ultra cut by hand working a small area at a time. Then follow up with a filler polish such Autoglym SRP and seal with Autoglym EGP. All of those products available at Halfords. It may not rid the deeper scratches but will go along way towards making it look 100times better and bring back the shine.

for the stone chips there is no easy fix I'm afraid.

If you was local I would given you a hand.