What's new

Binding brakes

Quirrel

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 Accord Estate
My rear brake appears to be binding. It's hot to touch the wheel.

I've read the threads on it and have a couple of questions before I drop it off to get worked on.

Do I need a new caliper or can the old one be cleaned up and the piston replaced.

Is it the flexible hoses that I need to replace as well. It that the only hoses that need doing?

The discs are rubbish on the back so need replacing as well.

All of it, no good doing it piece meal, one will knock out the other, this appears to be the only "universal" fault on the Accord, why Honda have not done something about it amazes me, but then again we all appear to do high milages. Thank the Honda Engineers the rest of the motor keeps on going.

David try this 1st

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/66-improving-brakes-%E2%80%93-the-basics/

CHeers.

I will do the brakes and pads at the weekend, see if that sorts it out first.

Te discs themselves are knackered. They have burn marks on the outer and inner edges suggesting the rears aren't doing their job properly.

'Do I need a new caliper or can the old one be cleaned up and the piston replaced'

That will only become evident when you try to clean up the caliper.

Being tight fisted, I would say start with the cheapest job first ie fresh pads & a clean up. If your discs are shot then do them at the same time too.

From my experience, the hose is the likely culprit, but you wont know if its shot until you detach the caliper from the flexi and find a pile of crumbled hose partially blocking the pipe & clogging up the caliper piston. Again hose replacement is not an expensive job.

Hopefully a clean up will resolve it - if not its either a caliper seal kit/rebuild or (gulp) a costly new caliper.

This all ***umes you have the time to mess around with my miserly piecemeal approach. If you need to do any distance driving in the car, you cant afford to be messing round with it or you will cook your nice new pads & discs.

That said for the few hundred quid for a new caliper costs, Id be taking a morning off work on a fact finding mission!