What's new

Brake disc screws

Dave04

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Diesel
Guys a quick question for you, I've changed my discs and pads on the front yesterday and one of those screws in the disc had rounded off so I tried drilling it out and am now left with half a screw in the hub. Do I really need the screws in the disc in first place or can i safely drive without them in? Surely the wheel does a good enough job at holding the disc on, that how it works on every mondeo I've ever worked on.

Don't worry about screw.You are safe.

TBO Dave I wouldn't like to say.
But for ref again use a impact screwdriver to get the screws out again.
What you can do is drill the half screw out compleaty and tap out a new thread.
I can't remember what it's called but there is a resign kit you can buy for this job

My Toyota doesn't have screws holding the front discs on, so I'd leave it. But be careful when you take the wheel off, as that's when the screw does perform a function!

should be okay if you tighten the wheel nuts enough as they will hold the disc on. the screws are more about making sure the disc goes on straight and level to avoid run out

what's left of the screw won't make any difference to taking the wheel on and off

Can you not put a set of mole grips on what's left? Using plus gas (not wd40) will help.

You don't need them anyway just make sure you do the wheel nuts up going opposites and to the same torque rating.

I did use an impact driver which is what rounded off the screw head in the first place, if its not going to cause any troubles then im not too fussed if the screws are there or not.

^ depends if you used a "PH" (Philips) or a "PZ" (Pozidriv) style of bit, also the size

PH2 is slightly too small, PH3 is a better fit once it hammers into the screw head

PZ2 might also work better than a PH2.

My imact driver broke, thought to myself thats rubbish. then i realised it was going the wrong way -doh

My thoughts as well Brian.
But also these screws might have already been rounded off by previous owners.

As JOHN G says be careful when removing wheel, especially if alloys, they tend to get a bit stuck on, and the man at the tyre station may hit it a bit too hard with his sledge hammer, bringing the caliper holder off with the whole shebang. Or worse, like breaking the bracket that the ***embly bolts onto. One screw is better than no screw, but two is preferable.

The disc screws are fitted to ensure that the discs are held firmly to the hub.
With the wheels fitted the car in my opinion is no dangerous to drive, however whenever the wheels are removed there is the possibility that debri may get between the disc and hub flange which would lead to brake judder.

If the heads has sheared off level with the hub, try using a small centre punch to tap the remaining screw to see if it will turn out.
Nwxt option is to drill in the centre of the bolt and try and eezie out, though screws are fairly small.
Last option is to drill out and retap a new thread.

Above is not hard if you have the tools and want to return it to Honda spec.
Failing that leave as is

I havent had chance to look at it yet but it doesnt seem to be causing problems and if it never will then im tempted to just leave it with only one screw in the disc.