What's new

Brake Disc Suggestions?

instadeth

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 VTEC Sport
Hi Chaps, i've had my accord a couple of years now but I thought i'd join the forum as these things are usually really helpful. I've no doubt this one is no exception!

Anyway, I thought i'd upgrade my brakes by getting the calipers painted and replacing the discs to some grooved ones along with braided hoses.

I've looked at Bigg Red for the calipers, but does anyone have any suggestions regarding grooved discs and braided hoses? Also what recommendations regarding brake pads?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

I don't have any experience on this, but there are a few people here in the forum using EBC disks with EBC Green pads, they seem to be quite good.

If you want to improve your brakes, get some ATR calipers and EBC discs, check out this thread. ;)
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/39-review-diy-accord-type-r-caliper-upgrade/

If you have 16" wheels on your car, these calipers will be a direct fit.

I had a nightmare with EBC discs on my 94 Accord, 3 lots of discs with run out, tried green and redstuff pads, in the end i drove to EBC in Northampton and they fitted a final set with a new greenstuff compound.

I wouldn't use them again.

I have Bremtech discs on the ATR and they are very good. Most chaps on the ATR forum use these with Mintex pads.

Thats odd shiny, cos my new EBC setup is brilliant, and it was fitted at EBC in Northampton.

I would say that if you can get the ATR setup do that, as its pretty good! Otherwise i would EBC it, if you need some discount let me know EBC in Northampton and my friends tyres place are pretty friendly.

As for braided lines, HELs brake lines are very good, cheap and do them for the Accord.

3 sets of discs all with a run out problem?!

That don't sound like a bad manufacture by EBC, sounds like bad installation or more likely lack of care cooling the discs down from high temperatures.

I've had EBC grooved discs and red stuff pads before and they've been reliable after regularly reaching over 800 degrees C.

I would recommend EBC discs and pads and plan on putting them on my Accord next month.

Matt

No probs with my EBC's either - been on 18 months now and covered 30k without drama.

It was an EBC problem, loads of people on the net were suffering from it at the time.

When i took it to EBC's workshop, EBC put their latest AF44 something or other compound that had just been released and the problem didn't reoccur. Although they didn't openly admit it, there was a suggestion that the previous compound was causing the problem.

Thinking about it, it was two lots of discs that suffered, and the third set was OK. I still had to pay for the discs to be fitted twice, hence the third time i made EBC fit them FOC.

They were ***** too, made me wait for hours and then tried to declare my driveshafts dangerous, saying they were probably at fault (despite there already being an off the record admission that the compound was s****). I drove back very carefully and took the car to my mechanic the next day, who inspected the whole lot and said they were perfectly fine. This was backed up by another mechanic.

Wouldn't buy them again.

sounds like an unfortunate one problem with a batch of ebc stuff, and a one off bad experience at EBC branch. How long along did you take them to be fitted?, maybe the staff has changed since, because, like i said i couldnt of asked more outer my deal.

They didn't have their own workshop, but there was subcontracted garage down quite a long road with lots of commercial/industrial units either side.

It must have been 7 or 8 years ago now, how time flies, but there were loads of people with problems with EBC discs at the time.

EBC grooved disks and green stuff pads front and rear no probs at all.

If EBC were having the problem 7-8 years ago I think it's safe to say with their improved product range these days then the problems will be solved.

I find most brake issues come from bad design i.e. manufacturers uprating an engine by adding a turbo and then not uprating the brakes to deal with the added performance.

Brake fade isn't scary, it just adds an element of uncertainty to if you'll slow down enough for a corner or carrying straight on. :unsure:

Matt

Bremtech FTW.

And finally to close this thread,

the ATR calipers probably will fit my car but the discs wont. I have 280mm discs but the ATRs are 300mm. Can't swap the discs for 300 cos my hubs are 4 stud but the ATRs are 5 stud.

Poo.
Thanks for all your help though guys, I may just get the existing calipers repainted and get new discs. Won't improve the braking I know but it will look clean and give the car a good brake refresh.

If anything I'll go for Black Diamond discs and pads, they seem pretty good.