What's new

Brake pedal poor (upgrade & dot 5.1)

Cliffordski said:
Sounds like you're thirsting for a twin pot upgrade.
How would the twin piston caliper help the pedal feel?

Would it not be a fluid/air issue causing the poor pedal and not a simple the cause of it having a single piston setup?

Educate me please!

Keep us posted with finding I have always found a vacuum bleed pump is good way to bleed brake and clutch but I have even done with one way valve in an emergency and brake pedal was solid.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Burbleboy said:
Would it not be a fluid/air issue causing the poor pedal and not a simple the cause of it having a single piston setup?
Yup - if you can't find it you'll need to ask a garage to diagnose the problem.

After replacing my rear discs and pads the brake pedal has become a bit spongey... don't see how this let air into the system but I've vac bled the rears anyway. Didn't help. When stationary with the engine running, pushing the brake pedal reasonably hard results in it eventually sinking to the floor after about 30 seconds. Pumping doesn't alter the feel. No leaks, no losses.

which pads did you fit jon ?

honda_saj said:
which pads did you fit jon ?
Cheap Eicher ones from ECP during a 60% off sale. They even came with an extra pin on the back that I had to grind off! I did also get Eicher rear discs, but they didn't fit properly (brake shoe adjustment holes didn't line up) so I sent them back to ECP for a refund and splashed out £37 for a pair of Blueprint discs.

I've used Eicher before, although the ones I just took off were genuine Honda. Eichers are a bit dusty, I previously had then on the front, but put on new Brembo discs and pads four months ago for the MoT.

Jon some pads don't move freely that would be cause of spongy feel

honda_saj said:

The fluid resistance/air would surel make spongy pedal. I wouldnt think that pads being stuck would change the pedal feel.

honda_saj said:
Don't worry, I fettled them to be a perfect fit. Same as I did with the previous five sets...

Well drove to work and tested brakes normal and without VSA. No difference.

Pedal feels a little soft but the brakes do bite well. It was under extreme braking (illegal speeds and slamming brakes in sliproad) that the pedal nearly went to floor. That is where i have the issue. I need my brakes to be good as when i go road trips with my mates, we drive hard.

I may consider braided hoses as that's all i can really upgrade as done everything (except 2 pot upgrade)

Also will check the pads when i have time, that will decide if i go OEM pads or not

Braided hose is a good upgrade apart from twin pot calipers

honda_saj said:
Braided hose is a good upgrade apart from twin pot calipers

Where is the best place to get em? Is the petrol ones same as diesel?

Will check for you

Not sure if diesel and petrol are the same

No problem have a read about braided hoses they will help your braking system and not to hard to replace yourself if you feel up to it I would recommend a vacuum bleed kit if you do decide to do.

freddofrog said:
Replace the brake system with Nissin system, as used on the petrol Accords

This is the reason i asked. Incase the brake setup is different including pipe ends.

honda_saj said:
No problem have a read about braided hoses they will help your braking system and not to hard to replace yourself if you feel up to it I would recommend a vacuum bleed kit if you do decide to do.

I changed ones on my civic mb6 and relatively easy to do.

I will get Honda to fit them on Accord as i get staff discount and they can bleed them too :) Will purchase them on payday

Burbleboy said:
I changed ones on my civic mb6 and relatively easy to do.
I will get Honda to fit them on Accord as i get staff discount and they can bleed them too :) Will purchase them on payday
Before you do that, what is the mileage of the car, has it had a hard life (major MOT work or repairs following an accident) and lastly how will you feel if after fitting the braided stuff you still don't like the pedal travel ?

Are you sure there is nothing you've overlooked ?

Jan Accord said:
Can anyone confirm that Nissin ABS/VSA unit is compatible with diesel model?
I spent a month or so of searching for the right module for my tourer, the ATE 60 was the the only one with the correct number of pins in the terminal connector block.