What's new

Brake splash shields

Yeah, they have them, but they don't rust and fall apart.

Really struggling to remember what mine had before I put the brembos on.

Think they may have been tokico's or nissins, it was about 6 years ago.

even Scoobie has the dreaded Nissin as stock then, so shields are probably a Nissin fad

makes sense now, tsunami is a Japanese word LOL

Hahaha.

Nothing wrong with nissin stuff, just a general lack of cleanliness and maintenance on cars that leads to sticky brakes.

Had to strip the rear brakes on a friend's Saab recently. Corrosion on the caliper had effectively shrunk the ID of the slider rubbers and the pins were binding, leading to the brake dragging.

Clean up with a round file and some grease worked wonders, and saved him buying 2 new calipers.

Of course, it was all caused by the fact that the only bit of a car most people clean is the shiny bit.

no need to clean on top of a car, that's what the paint is there for

must admit that inboard from those tsunami shields, my car is quite clean ;)

freddofrog said:
no need to clean on top of a car, that's what the paint is there for
That should be my mantra.

My car's usually no cleaner than my dirt bike.

underneath inboard of the tsunami shields my car looks like those handle bars, and outboard of the tsunami shields the rear calipers are like the rear sprocket ....so the tsunami shields do manage to keep the crud trapped in the brakes instead of under the car :lol:

also, the top of the car looks a bit like the saddle in places, paintwork is doing its job because torrential rain washes it clean

freddofrog said:
underneath inboard of the tsunami shields my car looks like those handle bars, and outboard of the tsunami shields the rear calipers are like the rear sprocket ....so the tsunami shields do manage to keep the crud trapped in the brakes instead of under the car :lol:

also, the top of the car looks a bit like the saddle in places, paintwork is doing its job because torrential rain washes it clean
I'm waiting for this teflon coating additive NASA have been promising for the past 30+ years.

Channel Hopper said:
I'm waiting for this teflon coating additive NASA have been promising for the past 30+ years.
that would help on the caliper and its piston to keep it from fouling up, the tsunami shields don't LOL

I failed my nct (MOT) yesterday coz of these Shields. Does anyone knows where to get them? Called up all the local carparts sellers told me only dealers. Was wondering you guys might know a place. Rear dust shields rusted out. The nct guy said they has to be there I n order to pass test.

Must be different in ROI then! What about vehicles that don't have them fitted from new (such as some Vauxhalls)?

Not sure about saloon models, but tourer models would be difficult to replace as the original ones are spot-welded to the hub. I had to chisel through the welds to get the rotted one off.

midaev1 said:
I failed my nct (MOT) yesterday coz of these Shields. Does anyone knows where to get them? Called up all the local carparts sellers told me only dealers. Was wondering you guys might know a place. Rear dust shields rusted out. The nct guy said they has to be there I n order to pass test.
You might want to check with someone else whether the tester is right about this.

I was told on another forum my car would fail its MOT without one but then it passed with no advisories.

No luck with eBay. Tried every word that relates to the's yokes.
Main dealer is fecken rip off. The other day ordered bolts for wishbones. The bolts that goes for the arms 3 of them cost me €75 at main dealer. I think no choice I will have to order them from MD

This looks like it

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/si/322/made/en/print

Item 52 para (7) towards the end - missing brake dirt shield is a fail item, so it looks like the tester is right.

But as Jon says if a car is manufactured without dirt shields presumably it will pass because then they are not 'missing' even though that car does not have them either !

It's different in the UK as only a backplate issue is a fail not the dirt shield.

Still for about £50 for a new on it could be a lot worse.

Cliffordski said:
This looks like it

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/si/322/made/en/print

Item 52 para (7) towards the end - missing brake dirt shield is a fail item, so it looks like the tester is right.

But as Jon says if a car is manufactured without dirt shields presumably it will pass because then they are not 'missing' even though that car does not have them either !

It's different in the UK as only a backplate issue is a fail not the dirt shield.

Still for about £50 for a new on it could be a lot worse.
That's a good find Cliff , but I'd be wary as to whether the wording is being misinterpreted

Full text is
(7) a brake drum/disc/backplate/dirtshield is missing, contaminated, obviously damaged, askew, or insecure.

English is a highly ambiguous language at the best of times, especially when being used outside of England LOL

Does it mean disc/backplate/dirtshield of a brake drum ?
Does it mean backplate/dirtshirled of a combined brake drum/disc ?
Does "missing" only apply to backplate of a "brake drum" ?

As a legal document it's terrible to use "/" in that way.

I think it's clear enough TBH - every alternative before 'is' can apply to every alternative after it.

But it's also clear that this doesn't vindicate our erstwhile friend one iota since the GB rules were under discussion then not the ROI ones :lol:

I'm still not convinced it's that clear tbh

Compare the "Irish" version

(7) a brake drum/disc/backplate/dirtshield is missing, contaminated, obviously damaged, askew, or insecure.

with the "English" version (see --> https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4s03000501.htm )

Method of Inspection ..........................Reason for Rejection
j. presence and security of brake ........j. a brake back plate, wheel
back plates, wheel cylinders and ........cylinder or caliper securing
calipers ...............................................device loose, missing or
..............................................................excessively deteriorated

The latter does not even mention "drum" or "disc" , the keyword is "back plate" , which could also be said to be a "dirt shield".

The fact that the "Irish" version mentions "disc" does not imply that the "thing" that could be missing is anything other than a "back plate", and where a "back plate" and a "splash shield" are combined (as on the rear brakes of the 7th gen Tourer) that would be the situation where the drum/disc is implied.

i.e. the clown what rote it meant

brake drum
or brake drum/disc

not brake disc

Indeed, one wonders why he/she didn't save some more white space and just rite

(7) missing/contaminated/obviouslydamaged/askew/insecure brake drum/disc/backplate/dirtshield

I agree, it's lazier drafting, because if the disc or drum were missing altogether, you'd have no brake at all - but then you'd also fail on other grounds anyway, such as brake efficiency.

The key difference for the OP is that the ROI wording expressly refers to a dirt shield, but the GB wording doesn't, which enables the distinction between that and a backing plate which you pointed out to be made in GB but not in the ROI.

There's the way it ought to be, and there's the way it is. What you say about what was meant may or may not be right, but you can't imply a certain interpretation when there are express words which say the exact opposite.

Cliffordski said:
The key difference for the OP is that the ROI wording expressly refers to a dirt shield, but the GB wording doesn't, which enables the distinction between that and a backing plate which you pointed out to be made in GB but not in the ROI.
So, what is a dirt shield if it's not another name for a back plate ?

One has a brake attached to the other side of it, the other doesn't.

GB MOT testers don't have a problem recognising the difference.

Cliffordski said:
One has a brake attached to the other side of it, the other doesn't.

GB MOT testers don't have a problem recognising the difference.
Good job "our erstwhile friend" doesn't write anything for GB gov, it could be even more confusing

I would fabricate something simple that resembles a dust shield as long as it's secure there is nothing in the rules about it's efficiency.

^ Genius (although one might have to make two, so that they resemble each other on each side).

Alternatively, show the ROI NCT tester a printout of the link in #107, and a printout of section 52 of the link in #108, and say that on the Honda it's called a "Splash Guard", which is not mentioned in section 52, so it's not a fail.

Or just replacing them with new on the saloon is nowhere near as big and horrible a job as it is on the tourer.

s-l1600.jpg