What's new

Break 'chatter'

moob

Members
Reaction score
Car
iCDTi
Anyone heard of this?

I get a noise on first application of my brakes - it's like a clang/thwak (to use a Batman term) - garage said it's not major, but it's kinda annoying me as it occurs about 20x on a 20 minute journey.

Is this noise indicative of the pads being defective? I ask as I only had the entire lot replaced less than a year ago.

First point of call would be to have the brakes stripped down, cleaned and pads reinstalled making sure they have enough space to travel in the carriers

I would check everything is secure, could be something hitting the dust shield worst case could be a loose caliper hitting it.

nothing more really to add than to actually take them apart to check them...sounds like either not installed properly or the pad is rattling on the slider but again no way of being sure until you looked at it..or get it looked at.

Heading in next week for a strip-down, MOT, ABS module repair and wheel refurb all round. That's the holiday gone then. :lol:

Did you use genuine Honda pads?

I use EBC Ultimax pads on mine. They perform just as well as the standard Honda pads but with a lot less brake dust.

I think this only use Genuine Honda thing gets a little over used sometimes. Yes it can do no harm and the diesel fuel filter seems to be a must for a genuine item but other consumables do not have to be Honda all the time.
It is expensive running cars these days and Honda do like to charge a lot so saving a few quid here and there will not hurt. And brake pads and discs is certainly an area that you can save money. Obviously dont go buying pads made of cheese but you know what i mean.

Back to the OP's question. Chattering is definitely not normal and needs to be looked at, either your pads are not seated properly or you have issues with your callipers. Either will be quickly diagnosed by any competent mechanic.
If your usual mechanic thinks its fine i would bin him and go somewhere else.