What's new

CDTI Problems Starting

Just restarting this one.

Before I took the car to it's MOT last month I ran about £30 worth of the performance 'power' diesel through the engine thinking this would clear out the bits and bobs as claimed by the fuel company (Shell). I also cleaned out the air compartment and filter of any debris, though there was very little.

The car passed on the emissions, however ever since it has taken somewhat longer to crank over in the mornings to start and is getting steadily worse.

It could be coincidence, a failing battery or something completely unrelated of course , the diesel filter perhaps but since I've tried the manual pump above it to optimise the pressure I'm not too sure.

There are no warnings flagged up on the OBD2 plug in module after driving around btw.

Has anyone else found the premium diesel to give problems with the i-CTDI ?

While I generally believe premium fuels to be a waste of money and unlikely to clean anything, I can't think how they might cause this problem. I guess there could have been a bad batch of fuel?

I've just had it confirmed that the slight 'pfffft' noise heard under idle is almost certainly an injector blowing past the seal. If left it could wreck the head.

Oh well, another half day to fix.

Channel Hopper said:
I've just had it confirmed that the slight 'pfffft' noise heard under idle is almost certainly an injector blowing past the seal. If left it could wreck the head.

Oh well, another half day to fix.
Sounds a bit vague! Easy to prove there's a seal (gasket) leak by liberally spraying WD40 down the injector body so it runs down into the well that the injector sits in... Any leak will then become obvious from the bubbling.

If you leave it blowing then the biggest problem will be shifting it, as the blow-by will act as a powerful glue and hold the injector into the seat.