What's new

Check Engine Light

nick 9-5

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer LPG
My check engine light came on today and the car wouldn't rev above 4500. When I got home I took the ECU fuse out for a minute and replaced it. This didn't extinguish the light. I drove the car and it was fine revving as high as I wanted it to. Stopped the car, went to the shop, came back and then light was out next time I started. I'm not worried at all by this as, from experience, most cars don't like having another fuel system added to them and can throw a bit of a wobbler, my question is, is there a sure fire DIY way of resetting the light? Does anyone know of a cheap scanner that would do the job?

Thanks in advance.

You can pinpoint diagnose it from what I posted? :rolleyes:

Gotta agree with CJ in that most likely culprit is O2 sensor, BUT I would advise having the code read. I know you've had the car barely a week so who knows what's been messed with under the bonnet.

Do you know a scanner that will do the job? Don't fancy paying to have it pulled.

The spec is OBD2 and an ELM327 interface from Ebay has served most of us well. They usually come bundled with some free or 'sort of free' software. Personally I can recommend PCMSCAN software, stands out above the rest and offers some good logging too if you like to play.

Edit to add: I was ***uming you were looking for something for connecting to laptop or notebook. If you want a stand alone scanner I'm sure someone else will be along to advise.

This is a nice all rounder that we (Elite) sell.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAUNCH-Creader-car-fault-code-reader-scanner-diagnostic-/250713806073?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a5fb514f9

In fact I'm picking one up this week to have a play around with it.

Do you know a scanner that will do the job? Don't fancy paying to have it pulled.

Nick,

Didn't you get some warranty with the car?

Is it not worth taking it back for them to have a look, although now the light is out, then there may be no point.

This is a nice all rounder that we (Elite) sell.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAUNCH-Creader-car-fault-code-reader-scanner-diagnostic-/250713806073?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a5fb514f9

In fact I'm picking one up this week to have a play around with it.

Keep us informed Faddy. I`m in the market for one to clear my troublesome code every few days

Nick,

Didn't you get some warranty with the car?

Is it not worth taking it back for them to have a look, although now the light is out, then there may be no point.

No, it was a private sale.

lpg = trouble in my eyes. regards having your codes read its not going to be free whether somone does it for you or you buy a code reader. an independant garage may charge as little as £30. ball is in your court but i suggest you find out what is at fault before you have an even bigger bill on your hands.

Getting your own code reader is a one off purchase - better than £30 a pop, and a laptop program and reader can be used for other things too.

Fair enough. Didn't know he was a Honda Techie. I retract my arsy statement.

I think we need to stop the speculation and let Nick get the code read first. Might be something totally unrelated.

I hear what you guys are saying, but I've seen plenty of LPG Honda's flying around Bradford being used as workhorses in the Taxi trade..

The light's disappeared now, will there be a code to pull anyway?

Actually taxi's need to go through very rigorous tests these days, as do the drivers..

We find that with lpg you will need a new lambda sensor every couple of years, depending on what type of lpg system is fitted you will sometimes need to restrict the amount of air flow through the air box, you need a different gap in your spark plug as well. Does it have its own ecu dedicated to the system or is it running on some sort of piggy back.

We find that with lpg you will need a new lambda sensor every couple of years, depending on what type of lpg system is fitted you will sometimes need to restrict the amount of air flow through the air box, you need a different gap in your spark plug as well. Does it have its own ecu dedicated to the system or is it running on some sort of piggy back.

It's a modern multipoint system with it's own ecu.