What's new

Choosing the right car

Roylewaa

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord SE Exec
As per post in the newbies section I will be buying a 6th Gen Accord next week

I have narrowed my search down to 3, all SE Exec's and manual, as I like all the toys and the Bose system

First is a blue 02 plate, 148k, some history including record of cambelt change, 12 months mot and 6 months tax

2nd Burgundy 51 plate, 104k, service history and cambelt done at 82k, 3 months tax and test

3rd Burgundy X plate, 122k, 4 months tax and test, some history, big alloys, and lowered, front lip etc

All priced the same-ish, all are in good conditio (apparently) for age and are all local to me

Which one sounds the best, i'm leaning toward the 02 plater?

Cheers for any advice

104k one. 148k is a lot of miles. If you do 10k per annum, although only 6 months maximum difference in manufacturing age, in real terms that makes the 104k car 4 years younger. But i'd get them to stick 12 months MOT on it first.

Drive them all, listen to the engine for noises and check them over, inside & out with a fine tooth comb.

Then go with gut feeling after you have seen and considered all 3.

I agree with shiny, I parted company with my honda at 150,000 miles, I picked mine up with 97,000 on the clock. Cost me very little to keep, but 150,000 is a lot of miles if you think the suspension, bearings, even interior have all done 150,000 miles. But there are lots out there and some good bargains to be had, im sure a One owner 99,000 miler is out there, full service history, just hunt high and low :lol:

Thanks chaps, the 51 plate one is closer, and I get the feeling has been looked after as looks factory fresh on the pics with a good service history

Think I will check it out at the weekend

I wouldn't worry too much about mileage, my last Accord got to 202k and the engine was fine, just decided to scrap it as it needed a few fiddly jobs for the MOT and I fancied a change. Current Accord SE Exec is on 130k and drives superb. Due to the age, the last '02' and '52' plate ones will probably be near or into 6 figure mileages by now) but they're reliable Japanese cars after all.

Bear in mind, the 'X' plater will cost less to tax, as it's pre 2001 emissions. The others will be around £270k P/A as they're quite high emissions (Band K) iirc. Not overly keen on the bodykits myself, perhaps that one is an SE Executive Sport model? They do exist. Although if it's got big alloys too, it might have been a bit chav'ed which might have been reflected in the previous owners driving habits! Check the heated seats work (switches below armrest), always handy at this time of year. Headlight washers should come on when you pull the stalk, but only if the headlights are on. Whichever one you pick, good luck to you and hope you enjoy it, they're miles better than the equivalent Mondeo/Vectra of that age.

I wouldn't worry too much about mileage, my last Accord got to 202k and the engine was fine, just decided to scrap it as it needed a few fiddly jobs for the MOT and I fancied a change. Current Accord SE Exec is on 130k and drives superb. Due to the age, the last '02' and '52' plate ones will probably be near or into 6 figure mileages by now) but they're reliable Japanese cars after all.

Bear in mind, the 'X' plater will cost less to tax, as it's pre 2001 emissions. The others will be around £270k P/A as they're quite high emissions (Band K) iirc. Not overly keen on the bodykits myself, perhaps that one is an SE Executive Sport model? They do exist. Although if it's got big alloys too, it might have been a bit chav'ed which might have been reflected in the previous owners driving habits! Check the heated seats work (switches below armrest), always handy at this time of year. Headlight washers should come on when you pull the stalk, but only if the headlights are on. Whichever one you pick, good luck to you and hope you enjoy it, they're miles better than the equivalent Mondeo/Vectra of that age.

£270k a year to tax??? LOL

Mine is an 02 and it's done just short of 91000 miles and it's all good.

£270k a year to tax??? LOL

Mine is an 02 and it's done just short of 91000 miles and it's all good.

Apologies, been outdoors all day washing beloved Accord and think the cold had frozen my brain! Should have read £270 a year to tax. Just done mine for 6 months £148.50, still a bit on the dear side! Not sure what the 1.8's are like these days.

Thanks for all the info chaps

Going to look at the 51 plate on Tuesday so fingers crossed it'l be a good un, would have been over the weekend to have a look, however ive sold my current car (a Mazda 323F) to a family friend and she is giving me the cash on Tuesday

I am aware of the pricey tax, I had a Y plate Nissan Primera Sport+ and that was neirly £140 for 6 months :eek:

You guys have very cheap tax over there.
It costs me over 600€ to tax the torneo.
Unreal and the roads are in s****e

You guys have very cheap tax over there.
It costs me over 600€ to tax the torneo.
Unreal and the roads are in s****e

Our tax isn't cheap.... yours is just scandalous :p I nearly cry when I think that some cars are as little as £30 per year and some are even free! Although cheap tax=economical and economical=slow!!

Only thing is tho, you can drive around without tax here in Ireland and you may not get caught:)
Then you can get a form to declare the car off the road for whatever reason and you don't have to pay back tax. Happy days. Lol
I tax it for 6 months and get 3 months free.
I think tho there going to put a stop to that so the car will have to be taxed.

We have a budget coming up next week and the price of petrol will surely going up again.
1.58€ per litre.

Only thing is tho, you can drive around without tax here in Ireland and you may not get caught:)
Then you can get a form to declare the car off the road for whatever reason and you don't have to pay back tax. Happy days. Lol
I tax it for 6 months and get 3 months free.
I think tho there going to put a stop to that so the car will have to be taxed.

We have a budget coming up next week and the price of petrol will surely going up again.
1.58€ per litre.

I am with you on this one mate, although my CG8 is not nearly as quick as ur sweet Torneo.......road tax and petrol price are just ****** disgraceful :angry: :angry: :angry: