What's new

Cleaning engine during service...

Hamid92

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
...hello chap's, finally got all the parts bur just got thinking about an issue.

Previous service I pretty much used the cheapest oil I could find and since had it tipped up by honda. Goes without saying that I'm sure the oil is more than rubbish and all mixed etc which isn't ideal but needs must at that time.

Now I have got some lovely mobil 1 0w40 :) for my vtecing (I know it's not a word) and was wondering when the oil is drained what is the best method to clean out as much crap as possible before the lovely new oil goes in?

I have heard that engine flushes for higher mileage cars are no good as they can wear the seals etc so is their any other way to clean out as much of the old oil as possible?

I was thinking of getting 2 litres of oil and running it from top to bottom or getting new cheap oil let the engine run for a few days then change to the good stuff?

Or just leave it as it makes no difference?

Thanks all

The best way Hamid is to buy a cheaper oil and run it for a few days and drain.
But tbh this I think is going a bit OCD.
Just warm the engine drain and open the cap on the oil filler.
Also let the oil drain from the filter for about 15 min should be good in my book

Just drain it while hot and leave it draining until it stops... yes, some old oil will be trapped in oilways and on internal ledges, but this small volume will be insignificant.

Personally I would never use a flush. I would rather have a bit of old oil left behind than traces of flush!

Simply running a couple of litres through would not clear all the oilways, nor remove the general coating of old oil that will be on every internal surface.

Thanks guys. So it won't make a noticeable difference if I run new cheap oil through it then change to good oil or if I go straight to the good oil following steps above? Thanks for your advice

You have really got OCD dude!

Either way, a small quantity of something is going to get left behind when you drain out... either dregs of 'cheap' oil or dregs of the previous (hopefully decent, but used) stuff. I'm honestly not sure what the difference is!

Is 10w-40 really the best thing? Wouldn't a 5w-40 be better?

You could always put the car on ramps and bounce it up and down to shake all the old stuff out.......

;)

Haha I know mate my OCD is on another scale! And I have 0w40 mate not 10w40 I went one step out so best of both worlds cold and hot lol

Oh I see what happened, brand is mobil 1 and viscosity is 0w40 :) lol

As Jon wrote what ever you do your going to get some oil left in the engine so why leave a cheaper oil trapped in there when I'm sure the present oil is of better quality!!!