What's new

Clutch Problems

MattHill18

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Sport
Hi, I've owned my 2001 Accord sport for over 3 years, and it's just about been faultless, one of the best cars I've owned. It was developing a clutch problem, where it just felt very loose, like all the tension had gone, and wouldn't spring back up which made it almost impossible to drive. After speaking with a mechanic friend of mine, who works on buses, we eventually found out that the slave and master cylinder needed replacing, which he did for me, this was 2 weeks ago. It's been running perfectly for 2 weeks, but I got in it this morning to find the pedal totally flaccid, with no tension at all. It springs back into place this time, but it's almost featherweight to touch with my left foot, and this time totally undrivable. Please can someone help, as I'm having to use my wife's car which is a Citroen and I hate it :-(

I also replaced the master cylinder in mine a couple of years ago, but since then never had a problem.

You could try the following: Ask someone to press the clutch pedal, while you look at the clutch slave cylinder. If there the slave cylinder doesn't move and there is is no oil leaks, the culprit should be the master cylinder. If it moves and there is no oil leak, then something broke inside the clutch housing and you will need to replace the clutch.

Both master and slave were replaced, could it just need topping up with fluid?? I'm really annoyed because it was running like a dream again after both were done. Or perhaps a full bleed could sort it. The clutch itself, the mechanics are fine, it's the hydraulics behind the pedal that seem to be causing me all these problems. Thanks for your reply

Were the slave and master genuine honda units
I have heard stories that 3rd party makes arent great

Check to see all the pipes and connections and there are no clutch fluid leaks

Check the fluids, replace and bleed system and see if it helps.

They were blue print parts, but I've never had any problems before, and they seem to have a pretty good reputation

I shall try n bleed the system at the weekend, it's really annoying because like I said, the car has been faultless and I love it to bits. It's converted me now so every car I buy will be a Honda. Just wish I could get this clutch problem sorted out
Thanks for your replies, but if you have any other advice or suggestions or even questions please drop a reply on here

My clutch master cylinder was also from Blue Print. It was was exactly as the one that was on the car, both were made by Nabco.

It sounds like either the master or slave cylinder i had the same problem last year i changed them both to be on the safe side