What's new

clutch slipping

Dave04

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Diesel
The clutch has been slipping for a few months now on hills and when I try to put my foot down, after reading on here I've decieded to go get it done by my local Honda dealer, so have been saving towards the £850 bill as is on the Honda uk website. I went into the dealer in the week and was supprised to find that they are doing it for me at the old price of £615 plus £9 for a hire car so fairly pleased with that result.

great new, but a bit surprised that they are charging for car hire :unsure: you should get free courtesy car, at least I got it when my clutch was done

great new, but a bit surprised that they are charging for car hire :unsure: you should get free courtesy car, at least I got it when my clutch was done
Quite a few Honda dealers do this now i had a bit of a blow out over this plus they wanted £15 of me,after my blow out they gave me the courtesy car free

that's ridiculous to pay for a courtesy car from dealer, especially that you're leaving there a lot of money for a new clutch.

I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for the courtesy car, but then again if you're getting the clutch replaced for £615 instead of £800ish, then why worry about £8? That's only just 2 pints in a pub.

They said that the payment for the car is just to cover insurence because my insurence won't cover it, its only £9 so I'm not too fused.

well,yes I agree with you Simon 9 quid won't make a difference, but the fact is that it should be free anyway ;)

Good result David, she'll feel like a new car with a clutch that actually works!

Well got the car back yesturday and it now feels amazing, all my power is back and the clutch feels nice and strong again. with a couple of little jobs they did as well the total bill was £633 so pretty happy with that.

Hi guys, I'm a new user and was wondering if anyone can help? I recently purchased a 2007 diesel accord with 130k miles, full service history. Service log states that a 'clutch ***embly' was performed at 92k (does this indicate a full clutch replacement or is this something else?). Anyway, the clutch is slipping under strong acceleration, most noticeably in 4th and 5th gear. I contacted the seller who suggested that Accords have a self adjusting clutch, and that the problem might rectify itself when the clutch plates have finished adjusting. I must say I'm skeptical at best. Is there any truth in this at all or am I being fobbed off? I have read through the various related threads on the forum and have not noticed any mention of this. Am I wrong in thinking that, as the seller advertised as trade, I should have some recourse regarding this issue? I would be most grateful for any advice before I contact the seller again. Many thanks in advance for any replies..

There have been reports of the cruise control switch under the clutch pedal needing a mild adjustment that can cause slipping. Failing that your clutch is on its way out. The self adjustment line is a fob off

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=002134545166272172295:r6apjvdonka&q=Cruise%20control%20switch&oq=Cruise%20control%20switch&gs_l=partner.12...8510.16003.0.17291.21.19.0.0.0.0.691.691.5-1.1.0.gsnos%2Cn%3D13..0.0.7493j3496877j21..1ac.1.XrEzaTW9l44#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Cruise%20control%20switch&gsc.page=1

There is truth in that. The clutch plate will adjust and it could fix the problem. However if it's slipping in them gears then it could well be the clutch that's gone. Just keep an eye on it.

The i-CTDi clutch is self-adjusting and does, sometimes, compensate for a slipping clutch (if you're lucky). That's why sometimes the clutch slip comes and goes.

But do check that the cruise control switch is not preventing the clutch pedal from fully engaging.

Yeah, the switch under the clutch pedal is an easy adjustment if you need to. Also, regards the courtesy car, my Honda charge £5 but give you the car with a full tank of fuel and tell me I can return it empty if I like.

It used to be free but would be in the red and I'd be asked to fuel it myself, so I call it swings and roundabouts really.

Guys, many thanks for your replies. Looks like a case of starting with the simplest thing first (CC switch) and taking it from there. Am I showing my age, or does anyone else remember a clutch replacement costing £100? If I remember correctly, it was also a fairly minor task. It seems that the more engine technology advances, the more problems are brought to the table! I'll have another word with the seller and see if he's willing to consider rectifying the problem. Again, thank you all for your impressively swift and helpful replies! :)

£100? Yeah I remember those days. On the Accord, the clutch is an all-day job with the subframe having to be removed. This obviously ramps up the price, especially at a dealership.