What's new

clutch special tool

Paul979

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-ctdi
Hey guys, well my clutch is starting to slip under acceleration :( .got a few questions,
do you need a special tool to change the clutch? if so what is it ?
im looking at getting the CG 6 paddle clutch kit but do i have to get DMF aswell or will the CG clutch eat through the original flywheel to fast?
and maybe a stage 2 remap might be on its way :p
cheers :)

Mines been slipping for > 50 K miles now, hasn't got any worse, I reckon its just weak springs rather than wear per se... if now is not a good time financially it might be an option to just carry on and see how you go. I make sure I don't let it slip if I can help it, backing off if it starts.

More info on CG Motorsport clutches, etc here... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13060-flyweel-trouble/page__pid__145583#entry145583 and the OP has just replaced the clutch himself - so he should know what special tools you might need. I suggest you send him a PM.

Jon has given you a link for fitting of the CG clutch which is a fairly straightforward item and should not need any special tools.

If however you are fitting a standard clutch then you do need a special tool to pre-load the clutch. This is because it's what is referred to as a self-adjusting clutch - Google that and you'll see what it means. If you try to do the job without the tool you run a high risk of having to take the whole thing apart in a few hundred miles time and re-do the job. Honda have their own tool for the job but there are several other generic tool available which will do it just as well.

Unfortunately, the current CG offerings still use the standard Honda pressure plate/cover, see this recent civinfo/CG thread page for confirmation... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cg-motorsport/90572-2013-year-clutch-2.html where in post #30 the CG guy announces that their own non-auto adjusting cover will be made available 'this summer'. So I think the tool for initialising the self-aduster is still needed for the current CG offerings.

I'm sure the clutch is pre-loaded so no real need to do so?

These are the same sort of setup on some bmw's ive never needed to use the tool on them and never had any back had the same chat with my boss as he has changed more of this type of clutch on the bmw's than i have this is the first one ive changed on a honda he said that he used it a few times then didnt bother because it didnt make much difference and he's done loads over the years.

Paul the OEM clutch needs the special tool but i don't no about the CG one.

The tool prevents the the self-adjusting mec from activating while your doing the clutch up because if that happens you end up with no clutch and it also stops the plate from getting distorted as long as you do the bolts up a few turns at a time one after the other slowly by hand till they stop then go around them with the torque wrench you should be fine mine's back together and working fine.

cheers for the replies guys much appreciated :)
just have to order a pedal clutch now, not sure which one to get either a 6 pedal or 8 pedal?
i know the 8 pedal will be smoother than the 6 but will the 8 pedal be good enough for a stage 2 remap??

The tool prevents the the self-adjusting mec from activating while your doing the clutch up because if that happens you end up with no clutch and it also stops the plate from getting distorted as long as you do the bolts up a few turns at a time one after the other slowly by hand till they stop then go around them with the torque wrench you should be fine mine's back together and working fine.

^^ This

Thanks for the useful info. I've only ever done a couple of self-adjusting clutches (for family members) so it is interesting to hear from those with more experience that they can be done without the pre-load tool.