What's new

ctdi rear brake caliper replacement/options

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
recently my handbrake became so loose that it wasnt even worth using... i popped it down to a mate in Leicester for him to have a look and maybe adjust the cable a bit. i was told that the spring and bracket for the handbrake cable wasnt operating as it should on the os caliper leaving it all down to the ns caliper which just wasnt holding the car. the guy who looked at it for me has moved the bracket a bit and its been fine for a week or 2 but i can feel it very slightly getting loose again.

he did say that i would probably need a new caliper if it keeps doing this........

anyone else had this issue?

if it does need a new caliper where is the best place to source one? i dont want a cheap fix so a OE caliper (used/refurbed) or equivalent. would i benefit from using the (ATR) accord type r rear caliper? i have been in touch with biggred and they have no calipers to exchange so i would have to be without my car for up to 10 days while they were refurbed which i cant do. would this bracket/spring be changed on a refurb caliper?

I have the same problem.Just need to change.I found from eurocatparts.They doing discount for parts.Are cheaper then OEM.If you find from somewhere else,let me know.

my mate said he changed one on another accord and the rear caliper was £45 ish from his memory which is a great price but im just concerned that its a far inferior part to the OE caliper and with brakes i dont want to risk anything.... i know rear brakes only input about 20% of the braking and its really all about the fronts but it will still play on my mind if i bought cheap quality items

Or you could get the old caliper refurbished.
I'm sure there are threads hear with links

Brett I've been in touch with biggred but they don't have any in stock to exchange so I will have to be without the car while they sort it. This I can't do as I need the car for work....

Unless there are any other recommendations for refurbishment companies?

On the back of the caliper there is a small bracket with a spring that the cable attaches to. When the handbrake is pulled it locks the rear wheels by pulling the shoes on the inside. Mine however isn't working on one side and can't be adjusted apparently. I've had it moved slightly and it's working again but I can feel it getting more slack every day

Well, the Budweg calipers from Brakes International are usually re-manufactured OEM Honda ones. Currently a saloon rear caliper is £79.07 plus £36.00 refundable after you've sent in your old caliper.

Brakepartssuperstore were really good when I bought a refurbed rear caliper online from them earlier this year. They supplied a Nissin which is the same as the original Honda one I took off and returned to them for the part-refund.

I wouldn't bother going down the ATR route with the rears - it's only worth doing with the fronts so you get the extra piston.

Refurbed is the easiest way.

I have ns with the same issue in the shed, will get it out and try do a diy. It's not hard freeing the mechanism. It's the shaft normally that gunks and dries up.

Is the saloon different to the tourer then? Handbrake uses the rear brakes and not shoes inside the drum?

Is the saloon different to the tourer then? Handbrake uses the rear brakes and not shoes inside the drum?

Sorry my ignorance, I thought the diesel all had the same braking system, the Tourer has got drum brakes for a hand brake.. Thought the saloon must be the same.

I thought it was the same as well. In fact I thought most cars now have that setup?

Well, the Budweg calipers from Brakes International are usually re-manufactured OEM Honda ones. Currently a saloon rear caliper is £79.07 plus £36.00 refundable after you've sent in your old caliper.

this is exactly the route i took last week when i went to replace the rear pads and found the caliper siezed solid (so much so it bent my wind back tool!!).
i still need to send my caliper back. the refurbed one i got back was very shiny and clean :)

tbh the hardest bit was getting the handbrake cable pulled into the arm thing on the back of the caliper. decent plumbers pipe grips would have helped compress the arm here.

^^ you can use a 14mm? socket on the handbrake mech to pull it back which allows you to slip the cable over easier.

im going to change my rear discs and pads as well while its apart. any recommendations on what to get? my last set were cheap and the discs have slight corrosion on the inside after 2.5 years!!!!! they also went very rusty around the hub within days..... so any ideas on a decent quality disc that doesnt look rusty and horrid?

anyone tried the brembo discs and pads?

Go for OEM from HH with our discount code there very good indeed.

still probably going to be quite pricey though tbh Brett for rear discs and pads. just looked on Lings and pads @ £50 and 2 x discs @ £130, total £180 is pretty costly. i know this is before any HH discount but with having to get a caliper as well and i may as well get new brake lines and fluid to complete the whole lot its not gonna be a cheap fix......

after market stuff like brembo, mintex etc etc seems to be about £70-80 for the set of discs and pads on good old ebay!!!! a bit of a difference.... i could paint the hubs if its going to save £100 :p

Very true Matt but lings are very over priced to any Honda dealer.Get a quote from HH as you might be surprised at the cost.

ill bell them tomorrow. ive actually put an order in from HH this afternoon for other items..... :blush:

still a bit expensive tbh compared to aftermarket products.....

just had a quick look on ebay for rear discs and saw some mtec black discs @ £69.99 for the pair. they come painted black and as they are used the pads wear off the paint but leave paint in the areas that arent touched. they may be a bit overkill for the rear as they come grooved /dimpled or drilled or a combination of the 3... grooved and dimpled i think would be better.

i saw a thread about someone putting them on the front of a petrol accord but there isnt any response regarding performance on there yet........ anyone else use these?

if i went for these what pads? brembo, bosch, EBC ultimax?????????????

the other option that caught my eye are the brembo disc and pad set @ £69.99 for the lot......... brembo have a great name in brakes but are the standard replacement option decent? again has anyone used them?

also if im changing the discs, pads and calipers then i may as well get new hoses/pipes. so im thinking of getting a stainless braided set that come with a lifetime guarantee. again on ebay @ £69 for all 4 and made by Hel. a good choice or not?

ill be getting discs, pads and hoses for a similar price to OE discs

tbh I would stick with blanks, the plain brembo are ok.

If you have to go for fancy discs then grooved only would be my choice.

Hel hoses are ok I used them and you notice a firmer pedal but I did change discs, ds2500 pads and new fluid as well.

depends on your needs, but as a stock pad pagid is a good place to start, I don't rate ebc some people like them though.

also to add your braking performance is only as good as your tyres.

my needs arent for crazy stopping power as i drive pretty sensibly tbh, its just when i get my head into something i want as good as i can get within a reasonable price range and think that if im changing calipers then i may as well do the lines at the same time so save bleeding etc again. ive decided on the brembo discs and pads and a set of Hel brake lines to go with my new calipers. i will be replacing both rear calipers as i feel if one has gone the other cant be far behind.... and at £79 each for new calipers from a friend who is letting me have them for what he pays for them ;) . ill get the calipers and lines fitted with new fluid and add the discs and pads at a later date due to getting 2 calipers instead of the 1...

so last question for now.... maybe!! what is the best brake fluid to go for?

any ideas on the best brake fluid?

there is a seller on ebay offering 5 x 250ml of Honda ultra dot4 for a very good price of £18 inc delivery. compare that to my local MD at over £8 per 250ml and its a steal............

also how much will i need to do the whole brake system? ive read on another topic on here that 350ml each front and 500ml each rear on the tourer, giving a total of 1700ml meaning i would need 7 bottles @ 250ml. correct?????

If you drain the reservoir out to start with then do a complete flush so brand new fluid is coming out all four wheels that will use about a litre and a half or just over.

Up to you which fluid, there are plenty of good ones about, the ebay one sounds like a good deal if it's genuine not counterfeit....I used Castrol React Performance DOT 4 for several changes and it always performed really well. Last time I used Halfords DOT 5.1 as it's thinner viscosity which is better for the ABS pump apparently but I don't think the brakes have quite the same bite now so I'll go back to the Castrol next time round (in 2 years LOL). But if you really want decent brakes on the 7th Gen you need to do the ATR front caliper and carrier mod... B)

my HEL brake lines and Brembo discs and pads arrived this morning so once i have the fluid its off to my mates garage to get them all fitted along with 2 new rear calipers. :)

the ebay fluid says its genuine honda and is using the right picture. ive never heard of fake brake fluid tbh!!!! i guess if it arrives sealed and in the correct bottle its ok :unsure:

i have looked at the castrol product and its slightly cheaper so if its decent i may as well go for that instead....

LOL maybe just my suspicious mind hehe although I do think if something seems too good to be true etc...anyway good luck with the job, any chance of some pics?