What's new

DAB chat for the 7th Generation - beermat technology

freddofrog said:
A DAB receiver would only have to have an output that goes into an aux input on the Premium unit.
You could always consider one of those personal FM transmitters to send the audio from the DAB to the rear window elements...........

Channel Hopper said:
You could always consider one of those personal FM transmitters to send the audio from the DAB to the rear window elements...........
nooooo they're terrible , I'm sure there is an aux , have to look at the xcarlink threads

Jon_G said:
Seems that we're mostly all electronics engineers and/or physicists here! I ignored my technical skills and simply stuck a small vertical aerial in the bottom left corner of the windscreen for my DAB receiver. To be honest, reception is disappointing... but isn't that just DAB radio in the UK?
which one did you get, and are you playing it through its own speaker(s) ?

(note also what I said under your post, which is that, depending on a few factors, a whip antenna inside a car can have as much as 6 dB loss compared to mounting it outside)

freddofrog said:
which one did you get, and are you playing it through its own speaker(s) ?

(note also what I said under your post, which is that, depending on a few factors, a whip antenna inside a car can have as much as 6 dB loss compared to mounting it outside)
It's a Pure Highway that re-radiates an FM signal so that the stock vehicle ICE can pick it up... works well enough in most areas. Got it so I can listen to BBC 6 Music, not for any perceived improved quality of signal... I believe that DAB in the UK is pretty much MP3 quality anyway? Unfortunately there are lots of areas around where I live in South Shropshire where the DAB signal drops out, but that's probably related to living in one of the least populated regions? When I was commuting to Hertfordshire or Berkshire I never noticed a problem.

Looks a neat bit of kit to get DAB simply http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/pure-highway-400-in-car-digital-radio-adapter-mobile-music-controller

I can't remember how long ago (10 to 15 years) but I bought one of those FM transmit things to get iPod into stereo. I'm not sure if it was due to the cheapness of what I'd bought (maybe from Maplin) but the sound was awful. Having said that, I don't think I've tried it on my Accord..

In terms of quality of listening through a good home Hi Fi (Quad amp with Rogers Studio speakers and Thorens TD 160 Super deck) I rate in the following order
1. CD
2. FM/MP3 (too close to call)
3. Vinyl (the dynamic range is, and always has been, muddy)

So yes, without ever having heard DAB, there may be a perceived lowering of quality between FM and DAB, but if I were to go to the trouble of fitting a good Band III antenna I'd also fit an aux input to the 7th gen Premium system (and how stupid were Honda and choosing something that good that did not have an aux input as standard).