What's new

DIY Alternator change

thanks for this, changed the alternator on the weekend, the biggest challenge is access. And make sure you get the longest 14mm spanner you can! I managed by putting other spanner through the loop to give more leverage, but a big spanner would have made the job loads easier.

Hi Guys

Excellent article Salim. I thought I'd do mine over the weekend. How hard is it to move the tension pulley?

Do they seize up at all. Mine does not want to move and I am afraid of stripping the head of the 14mm bolt if I use to much force.

Does anyone know the length of the shorter belt.

Many thanks for any help

spudowen said:
thanks for this, changed the alternator on the weekend, the biggest challenge is access. And make sure you get the longest 14mm spanner you can! I managed by putting other spanner through the loop to give more leverage, but a big spanner would have made the job loads easier.
Or a 2/3ft length of pipe on the end of the spanner?? and then pull, also there is a good bit of force needed. Chesjak

Thanks edgeoftime

In that case I'll eat my spinach before I try again.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

@chesjak - I was originally told that the shorter belt is a PK1785 (so 1785mm) but I actually bought a PK1784 as that was all I could get at short notice (it is highly unlikely that the belt is manufactured to such tight tolerances that a 1mm different spec could even be measured). After a few thousand miles the belt seems to be fine.

Others have said it's a PK1788. All of these would be OK... the tensioner has a very large range of adjustment.

Thank Jon_G

I'll give one a try.

One last question if I may.

Does this modification apply to all Accords that have the long belt and idler pulley or just certain ones.

Regards

@chesjak - the shorter belt mod only applies to pre-facelift diesel models... facelift models were manufactured with the shorter belt.

Jon_G said:
@chesjak - the shorter belt mod only applies to pre-facelift diesel models... facelift models were manufactured with the shorter belt.

interesting, my facelift FR-V came with the longer belt.

Thanks for the guide. My alternator bearings gave up mid way through moving house with my tool kit already gone. Managed to replace it with a little improvisation.

The two lower fan housing bolts were corroded in too bad to remove in the time I had. It turns out you can remove the alternator with the fan housing still in place. You just need to un-clip one of the power steering rigid pipes and push it aside and remove the securing bolts from one of the aircon rigid pipes (the pipe connected to the flexible hose above the alternator). Follow the pipe along the left hand side of the engine bay and remove any securing bolts you find, don't release the gas or undo the bolts that hold the pipe unions together. With that done the flexible AC hose will lift up a few inches without over stressing the pipe and the alternator can be rotated and removed at the far left hand side by ABS unit. Be prepared to bloody and bruise your fingers, it's tight.

I also managed to take off the alternator without messing the fan some time ago when I replaced the alternator clutch. Just a little bit of puzzling is needed by rotating the alternator and trying different positions.

Jon_G said:
thanks for that as I was going to order it :p

My 06 plate had the longer belt & extra pulley, how odd?

Just a quick thank you for this guide, very helpful, my alternator was totally goosed & making an awful racket as well as not charging, but Euro Car parts had a replacement 130amp one for £188 plus it was in stock so no waiting, i bought the shorter belt (7PK1785) & removed the idler pulley, car now running fine, & I'm back upsetting neighbours with my tunes......

Thanks again.
Wozza

Evening all,

Just spent the weekend trying to get the belt back on my alternator after swapping it for a reconditioned one, having a bit of trouble with the tensioner, I have managed to get my tool onto it, I was pushing it towards the car initially but came back on here to read I need to pull it towards the from of the car! But I am not too sure how to reconnect the belt. I didn't go for the shorter belt option just now, will save that for another time, any advice on how to get the longer belt back on? When pulling the tensioner it prob moves about 90 degrees but I don't feel it gets 'Loose' Should I route the belt around the alternator first and then come back up to the other pulleys? I've got this far and seem to be falling at the last hurdle!! Its hard to take haha! Any help much appreciated!!

Thanks

Desperately trying to remember how I did it now because it caused me grief too. (I didn't have a dedicated tool, just a ring spanner with a bit of gas pipe slipped over the end.)

I think I actually had it set up on the pulleys from the top and slipped it onto the bottom pulley from under the wing with the wheel off.

That's what I'm using, a spanner with a pipe, lost the spanner in the bottom of the engine bay many times as well! It seems when I turn the tensioner not much happens, how much slack can I expect?

You do get a fair bit. I think I must've gotten about 25-30 degrees of rotation on the tensioner.

sAVE YOURSELF THE BOTHER GET A SHORT BELT. It will save you the bother of doing it again with your next alternator swap.

see the first thread on this post, there is a drawing. Either short or long you need to look at this to see what is needed, but PLEASE get a short belt.

Thanks John, to be honest I am looking to sell the car once I get it started, already pumped a lot of money into her once she broke down so trying to save some money where I can. I plan to get her running and then stick her up for sale, times are hard at the moment...

Hello guys I desperately need your help! I have stuck on the pretensioner - I just cannot make it turn!

Could someone please upload a video of what tools I can use and how much I have to rotate it in order to slacken the belt?

It's been one month since my old alty passed away and my poor Accord is just sitting waiting for cure!!

I live in Telford, so if someone lives close, I am more than happy to get him to my place and do this 10-sec job!!

Not too much to be honest-around 20-30 mm from nut's head is the maximum..

Don't suppose anyone can help?

I have just attempted this but as i was trying to undo the live feed to the alternator i managed to knock the lead back on to the battery and have managed to short the car completely. I have no dash lights at all and i stupidly left my windows open. Any help would be appreciated as im now in panic mode

Hi guys, I'm attempting an alternator change now, and can't maneuver the alternator out.
Seems like the left ac pipe is in the way.
Can anyone help?
Many thanks
3a8b755a225a3b823cc91edb7c2af689.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Follow the instructions in Post 44 (Shadow) . Whilst I have not carried work on the alternator, I found I could remove and replace the ABS control unit by making the additional space, without touching the headlight/bumper or radiator ***embly.

Loosen and remove the bolts that hold the aircon pipes all the way back to the rear bulkhead and it should give you the necessary room.