What's new

DIY Cold Air Intake for 7th Gen Petrol

Looks like a good simple and cheap mod, I'll be doing this when I get my 2.4, cheers for posting.

Holy thread revival batman!

Having read this thoroughly ive been inspired to design something of my own. Playing around with autocad ive knocked up a drawing of a long angled section of piping keeping the 80mm diameter that Steve advised all through the length (ala typhoon kit). ive angled It to drop down behind the front bumper like the other CIA's on the market and added a weld on bracket to fix it to the oem airbox mount.
I have a close friend working as a prototype engineer at a local metal shop who going to have a pop at building it. I want to use a internally polished section of aluminium and then combine it with a k & n.
The pipe work and bracket will be cut by robot laser rather than hand so should get a nice clean finish.

If possible in also going to try a before/after on a Dyno. Anyone know where's best to go in Herts/beds for Dyno work? I realise this sounds.a bit extreme for a home made (sort of) intake but I'm curious to how it will actually affect a stock k24.

I would be very interested in this of your friend could produce the pipe work. Reading thread all I was wondering was how is all this pipework fixed

I'm not too sure how steves done it you'd have to ask him. I'm guessing without the brackets it would still sit quite rigid due to the metal piping.

I've decided (like Steve) to retain the oem section running to the throttle to retain the standard maf fixing. It's only a short peice, I can't see it making a difference.

I'm waiting now to price up the material and transfer the design to the five axis laser which will take a little time as my friend has to do it in his own time. I'm also undecided as to use a k&n or other type of cone filter.

I think the price of the tubing would depend on wether or not I went for a k&n cone on the end.
I've found another cold air intake system from AEM http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/induction-kits/car/honda/accord-03-08/2003/2-4-cl9/aem-air-filter-intake-system-blue it's still quite expensive at £177(still half price of the typhoon).
If you manage to get one made and up and running would you be willing to make a few more? Or at least 1 for me lol. If I can help in anyway let me know.

Not sure what the cost is going to be at the minute. I'm waiting for my pal to check out some different grade materials etc.
I also have to factor in the cost of a couple of RR runs as I have no idea what that will be.
There are also lots of options for the filter but I reckon it will come to less than a 100 quid for the intake itself.
Either way it's going to take a bit of time as he needs to do this in his spare time on the sly!

Sounds good mate. I've looked at the short ram but for the sakes of removing the resonator and taking off the bumper I might aswel go the whole hog

Just had a look at the intake in the link. That's a short ram intake that keeps the filter in the engine bay. This one locates it down behind the front bumper like the typhoon kit or Steves DIY intake.
I just wanted to use a single mandrel bent tube rather than joining sections together because I think it would look awesome! (And luckily have someone to help).

Hi
Stevearcade,

great post what size pipes did you order for alloy and silicone was going to carry out this mod as weather is looking good nowadays ? Also which type of k and n filter did you use as there few types ?

If memory serves, the stock pipe is 80mm. Better to double check yourself though. It's super easy to detach the stock pipe from the air box. Double check before you order anything. It was a long time ago when I did this and I wouldn't want to say for certain.

Thanks for reply

Stevearcade i don't have a problem to remove and measure i did an cold air intake on my last vehicle.

Hello steve, I will probably have a go at the CAI DIY next, im just getting the car re flashed now, its a great mod, just wondered, how well do the re flash and CAI work together? Bet it pretty effective?

It's fine mate. I've been running the CAI since long before the remap. I expect if you're doing remap and CAI at the same time, you're going be driving with a big smile for a few days afterwards.

Yes the re map on its own had changed the sound of the car under throttle, it sounds meatier, with a cold air intake too it would sound brutal im sure.
Plus the CAI is another very effective way of getting the most out of the engine without breaking the bank.
One thing im not sure of, are there any sensors along the way that'll need re locating to the new pipe?

£60 K&N Cold Air Intake

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291595267815&alt=web
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=370783115021&alt=web

49db3753f826f5ccf6d8b948e5190f14.jpg

65fed0417087b2d382e10fa4b42ef9f4.jpg

4dacb46e116d65761403611920b0849e.jpg

cec6bddac8fcf8014d5bf2707626083b.jpg

https://youtu.be/2wvdIAxNXVE

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ok now I'm shocked! I never believed that CAI can give you any extra bhp, just noise but I felt the difference straight away. I just compare two 0-60 videos in video editor, 2nd gear acceleration.
Stock/CAI
4.5-6krpm 2.2s/2.0s
4.5-7krpm 3.5s/3.1s
5-6krpm 1.5s/1.3s
6-7krpm 1.4s/1.2s

Nice one! Looks like a good job, good price too, ive gotta do mine soon, from the videos ive seen and listening on good headphones....the K24 sounds very deep with the CAI

CAI is too loud for some, so you can try to drive without resonator first.

2b4aa2a273fd0ec8787c697b3c6731ed.jpg

Something like this is also good idea.

Paul S said:
One thing im not sure of, are there any sensors along the way that'll need re locating to the new pipe?
There is only one sensor close to throttle body but you anyway keep that pipe between airbox and tb.

Paul S said:
Is there room for a longer K@N on the end of that 600mm 90° pipe?
Yeah plenty of room for longer cone filter.

krisdee said:
Yeah plenty of room for longer cone filter.

I have orderd the same 90 pipe as you from your ebay link, haven't made my mind up on filter yet, there are longer ones but bloody expensive, over £60 I think, not sure if its worth getting a bigger one?

No point getting longer. It will be no difference in performance/sound

Stevearcade said:
Wicked man! Glad it got you sorted. The sound of an unleashed (un-****led) intake on a K24 is flipping awesome isn't it!
It is isn't it!

Done mine today, very pleased with it, it is a beastly sound from K24, my son was sat in the back with a big grin on his face.
And the best thing about it is under normal driving its no louder than normal.

Some say don't use oiled filters on cars with sensors, has anyone ever had any problems with K&N oil particles effecting mass airflow sensor?

No problems here. Running K&N for about 4 years now.

Cheers steve, didn't think there would be but just something else to worry about lol.
Some cars suffer with low end power loss with induction kits, why is this? Is it because short ones inhale warm engine air only or is there another reason, like removal of resonator? Does this device help in any way with low end power?
Mine seems fine, it seems even sharper than with just reflash, didn't think it possible, I think I noticed most power gains in the mid range area.
And also engine braking seems stronger.
The sign of a healthy set up I think.

Stock intake can store more air that's why should be better for low end power and torque. SRI is the best if you could somehow avoid heat soak. Some guys cheat when dyno test cars with bonnet open.
I also think Cl9 doesn't have MAF.

I read somewhere that the resonator acts as a sound ****ler but also as an expantion chamber to make more bhp available, not sure how that works exactly, maybe the way it accelerates the air in induction track getting rid of turbulance for a smooth flow, but also read that the longer the intake the more work to suck it into intake manifold, so this system (yours and steves) seems perfect, quite short but taking in cold air.
I went for krisdies one because its one peace and this 90 has a very smooth channel for the air, so less turbulance, in theory.