What's new

DIY fix - Clutch creak / click - updated 6/8/07

Did mine today, instantly smoother. Thanks to all involved :D One little tip I would like to pass on, get an old broom handle or any thing similar and cut it down to 25 inches and hold the clutch pedal down with it and place it against the bottom of the seat ( seat fully set back and a rag between wood and seat ) this made the job even easier and lets you get both hands around that syringe cos its tight! :)

Did mine today, instantly smoother. Thanks to all involved :D One little tip I would like to pass on, get an old broom handle or any thing similar and cut it down to 25 inches and hold the clutch pedal down with it and place it against the bottom of the seat ( seat fully set back and a rag between wood and seat ) this made the job even easier and lets you get both hands around that syringe cos its tight! :)
Nice tip fella

This is the stuff you need Simon.

http://www.univarsc.com/molykote-55-oring-grease-offwhite-100g-55M100

The postage on this put the total cost up to £45 :blink: .

I just ordered a 100ml tube off eBay for £8 delivered. Will see if I can get a syringe form the pharmacist or vet or something. I'm sure they'll have little plastic syringes with long tubes on them. Will update once all's arrived and I've done the job.

Thanks all.

Job Done! Wow! What a result too, it feels like a new clutch has been fitted.

The Grease arrived this morning. I had a couple of 5ml syringes left over from when my cat was ill and I was having to force laxatives down its throat (the less said about the the better :huh: ).

This syringe had a fairly long and narrow nozzle on it (about 10mm in length). Anyway, I found that this coupled with my thin, wiry hands (I'm a small, skinny dude) I could get in quite easily, get the nozzle in the whole that presents itself when the pedal is pressed and squirted a good couple of syringes worth in there, as well as smear it on the pushrod and all round the entrance.

It took about 1 minute, cost me a grand total of £8 and has made the clutch feel like sexy butter ;) .

I highly recommend this.

TA, you've given me the confidence to do DIY jobs on the car yet again, saved me money yet again and improved my quality of drive yet again. Major thanks.

:D

Just done my Tourer's clutch pedal rod with molykote 55 using a cotton wool bud tube on a syringe from the vet.
Seemed to eject most of the grease on release of the clutch pedal, but the creak and notchiness have gone.

Thanks to the OP for the DIY guide.

Did mine yesterday.

Much easier said than done. I had a terrible time trying to hold down the pedal while squeezing the syringe.

In the end I cut down an old broom handle to hold down the pedal, as suggested by a previous post. Worked a treat, thanks for that suggestion!

As above, loads of grease was ejected but it's definitely worked so far.

Hi sorry guys.

following up this thread, just one simple and basic question, to get to the area that it needs to be greased, do I need to remove any covers, etc or this is reachable just near the clutch pedal?

I’ve a few pouches of Energy Suspension bushing grease, any thoughts on whether it's ok for this clutch pedal creak application?

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Energy-Suspension-Formula-5-Prelube-Bushing-Lube.asp

Thanks.

Hi sorry guys.

following up this thread, just one simple and basic question, to get to the area that it needs to be greased, do I need to remove any covers, etc or this is reachable just near the clutch pedal?

No mate.

Just look up at where the clutch pedal goes and there's a couple of notches that you squirt the grease into.

I'm absolutely clueless with cars, but I managed to match up the op's pic with what I was looking at in the car and then went from there.

You don't need to remove anything, but I found it pretty tough to get at.

No mate.

Just look up at where the clutch pedal goes and there's a couple of notches that you squirt the grease into.

I'm absolutely clueless with cars, but I managed to match up the op's pic with what I was looking at in the car and then went from there.

great thanks