What's new

Dodgy paint!

old cruiser

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
What is it with the paint on these Jap cars, slightest little thing hits it and there it is another chip, spent yesterday afternoon cleaning the car, touching up a few stone chips, car looked great then drive to bloody work this morning to a place called Aldermaston in Berkshire AKA hell on earth, hear a small ding from some damn lorry and there it is a lovely stone chip in the bonnet, why do I bother!! sorry guys rant over but you can probably tell I'm annoyed!! bring back Cellulose or 2k paint!
Cheers Pete

i hate chips to man but during winter and wind there is always bits flying every were. i think this summer i will go for a clay polish and wax....

Yep very thin water based crap.

I don't think it's just jap cars, they are all going that way. It was the introduction of heavy solid water based paints, one coat is equal too 3 coats 2k...or so they tell us. I can't stand the stuff, it's a struggle to get a finish as good as 2k. One thing I thought of was getting the front end wrapped in a clear vinyl, that would give pretty good resistance. It is depressing trying to keep paint work spotless with the crap on our roads. I do feel for you.

Exactly what I was thinking about the clear wrap, seen this on some cars and if done properly you can hardly tell it's a wrap.
Cheers Pete

How much does a whole car wrap cost these days? I like some of the carbon satin black wraps and if its cheaper than a full respray then I reckon more and more people will go down this route.

I don't know on price. Its not cheap that's for sure. You can't really replace good solid paint, but I do see clear wrap being,usefully...

Best carbon wrap I've seen is by 3m, dinok or something like that.

Problem I see with vinyl, it's a pigment and does fade. Its not workable like paint, the glue can lift and let moisture under it...

I've seen some,good jobs, just not,for me. Clear on a front end would be protective, you can see if moisture gets under it. Has greater resistance to stone chipping.

Yeah I get what you mean. A see thru car bra would be great as thats where the majority of chips are on my car and everyone elses by the sounds of things.

Beemers still have horrendous orange peel from the factory, they must pile it on.

Bmw where the first to use high solid water based lacquer, when I was painting for Vauxhall my best mate was painting for bmw and when they changed he told me then, don't ever go over to it, It doesn't matter what we do we can't get the finish. Everyone eventually had to change and I hate the stuff. Its all about cost now. Its one coat of lacquer and done, oven on, bake and finish. Supposedly one coat is equal too 3 2k coats, which is fine, but the flow rate is non existent, hence the Orange peel. Most small one man band bookshops still use 2k as its quite costly to change over. All private work I do is 2k. Its just another sad development where function is sacrificed for cost effectiveness.

Heres my attempt on a cheap respray some years ago. I did this for a track car so the finish wasnt that important but it came out great I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdGwJai4_NI

That's a good effort matey. Pretty impressed. Will try and upload my last job if I can get photo bucket working. I do custom painting on bikes mainly for private work.

New paint is pants.

When my mum bought her new Fiesta I was nosey around the cars in the show room, shocking orange peel on brand new cars.

I used to own a VW Corrado, I'm sure it had at least 100 coats, thickest paint I've ever seen.

It certainly is a headache. When they go into body shop for repair it's a nightmare, not only do you have to match colour you also have to match orange peel, especially if your using 2k and your finish will be better. Corrados where cool cars.