What's new

DPF light stayed on after forced regen

Mantorok

Reaction score
Car
Honda accord 2009
Honda accord 2009 2.2

Hi all, hope some can help make sense of these cryptic cars!

DPF light came on and car went into limp mode, took it to garage and they said no fault codes and it wouldn’t regenerate. Took it to Honda who checked and said AC compressor had gone, bought compressor and garage fitted it and it went through a full regen this time, however light and limp mode still active. AC is also working fine.

As they were closing up they said bring it back after weekend if it still on and limping.

In the meantime I decided to reboot the ECU via the fuse, this cleared the light and limp mode.

My question is, should I have needed to do that? Is this just going to come back again?

What is a full regen?
I thought you had to drive it hard for 50 miles (long time for example) to clear it out.
Did it on the wifes nissan note a while back, recommended to take for a long hard drive every so often.
Anyway I don't think regens last for long and it will soon be troublesome again on these accords.

I meant forced regen, so they connect up a computer and regen while stationary, this is necessary when the light with the exclamation mark comes on the dashboard. You can’t drive it to regen when this light is on.

Yep, it’s going to come back. Once you start needing even one forced regen, it’s time to solve it properly. Drop me a line if you need help.

So even though Honda diagnosed a faulty AC which has now been repaired, there could be another issue? Could they not have diagnosed that at the same time?

I’m also guessing that the light will come back on when it needs to regen again?

The AC is only required for a forced regen, not for normal regeneration during a regular driving cycle. I’m just speaking from years of experience with these cars, once you’ve needed just one forced regen, the time is up for that dpf.

So are you saying new DPF? I’m guessing it would need to be a genuine replacement? Or are there other options? I can’t have it removed as it’s required for the MOT.

You'd be looking @£1500 for one from honda, probably more than the car is worth, then fitting if you are not able.
Some on ebay for £400-500 I'd be going for, don't know if anyone on here has fitted cheaper dpfs?
You can have it removed and it will still pass an mot apparently.

Last edited:
Avoid aftermarket, they’re cheap for a reason and will just add to your problems.

Well I need to make a decision really, my journeys are not really suited to a diesal so really I want to trade it in for a petrol.

Feels like options are:

- Genuine replacement (expensive)
- Aftermarket replacement (will this even buy any time?)
- Clean?

Feel like I just want to trade this in while the light is off if possible.

What's the deal with removal? This isn't legal anymore right?

Trade it in and buy a petrol if you’re not doing the miles mate.