What's new

Driving in the snow?

earlofsodbury

Members
Reaction score
Car
Gen7 i-CDTi Tourer
HI all, so, I'm looking down both barrels of my first winter with my diesel Accord Tourer. It follows a lifetime of driving sheds that lack anything like ABS and VSA, so I'm looking for any tips on how this experience may differ from piloting boggo front-wheel drivers in the slidey stuff. Regrettably I definitely cannot afford winter tyres :(

Thanks in advance, sod.

From experience Paul if the snow is bad leave the car at home.
The accord is not the best in snow IMO

This won`t be much use to you I know but last year I backed out of my drive and that was it couldn`t get any further. Had to get the neighbours to push me back so I left it there until the snow cleared and used the other halfs Picasso.

I obviously have some unsuitable tyres on the front Pentas (Avon ZZ3s) so I think I`ll have the same problem this year as they are still there with a bit less tread.

Modern cars generally suck in snow - the tyres are too fat, the treads are too summery, the ABS and traction control are overly sensitive, and the power steering doesn't tell you what's going on. My old MK2 Astra on skinny tyres used to carve through the snow like it wasn't there :)

I'd grab a pair of autosocks for emergencies, but otherwise don't drive if you don't have to.

Get yourself some snow socks and get used to turning off the VSA before you leave.

Drive slow and steady, keep your momentum up and now sharp changes in direction or speed. These cars turn in to 2 tonne sledges at the slightest whiff of gnatt's fart.

The only cars which really work well in snow are 4 wheel drive. My old Calibra turbo on Avon ZZ3's used to plow through fresh snow in the right lane of a dual carriage way while everyone else was tip toeing in the left lane scared to get out of 1st gear following the tyre tracks of the car in front.

Anyone want to try a 4 wheel drive conversion on an Accord? :lol:

We have a very entertaining crossroads just outside the house where one of the entrances is very slippery, and the other is at the bottom of a hill following a country road. Last year it was amusing to see drivers of school run 4x4s as they received their first lesson in why traction isn't the same as grip :)

Best car in our house in the snow is mum's Kia Picanto on 60 profile tyres ;)

Ah - thanks lads, that sounds rather as I feared it would be, I've never felt a car get quite so "squirrelly" on the ice as this thing, which is alarming given its size!

Interesting to read Dan's recommendation to turn-off the VSA - any other opinions on this?

I'd only turn it off if I needed to dig down a bit in order to get moving from standstill, but everyone has different preferences.

Yes I remember in the last snow my Accord was useless but my mates little micra just ploughed through the snow. It was good fun too for a little car

rubbish, I live down a 1:4 hill, on Conti Winter Contacts I was able to drive up it completely covered in snow without the VSA even flashing, my wifes Astra on Conti Sport Contacts would get all of 3 feet on the gentlest bit of the slope. I was actually gob smacked how bad her car was compared to mine, I hadn;t even considered that I wouldn;t be able to get hers out the Accord had been that sure footed. Last year we had full snow covering our estate for nearly 6 weeks and with the Winters on it was just like driving on white tarmac. Its even suprrising how well it stops on it. OK if you jump on tegh ABS kicks in but I can live with that

Get proper tyres on and Carry on carrying on.....

forgot to say, I also have screen wash rated down to -60 which also helps on these frosty mornings.... :D

Interesting to read Dan's recommendation to turn-off the VSA - any other opinions on this?

totally agree with that, it same like rolling without gear on neutral, you can't control the car with VSA on if you start skidding you won't be able to get control of the car because VSA will be cutting off the power from engine.

Loved my little Honda Logo last year, ultra small light car + skinniest tyres ever was much fun :lol: Going to be interesting this year to see if my accord will even budge in the snow, something tells me the 19's will just spin!! Got the mrs gen1 CRV awaiting just in case

mine was terrible last year, had to abandon it! also had to let all the air out the tires to get it into a place to abandon it!

mat.

My accord was also rubbish in the snow, had to use my wifes 16 year old vauxhall calibra v6 auto much better bet!!

Just to put some counter balance to the "Accord is rubbish in the snow": my 2.2 i-DTEC works wonderfully in the snow here in Sweden! Last year we had meters of snow from end of October all the way to April and I drive the Accord everyday, both city / local roads and highways. It works perfect. On pure ice (traffic lights) it's just to drive off on the VSA / TC, most of the time quicker than most other cars. :)

Also drove the Accord 600 KM's up to Ã…re (wintersport area), fully packed with snowboard equipment for the both of us, worked nice.

20091220-IMGP2833.jpg

First you have to dig out the car of course, before any driving. :)

IMGP0957.jpg

Up in the mountains in Ã…re

I guess the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tires make a difference.

BTW: One thing I really dislike on the Accord diesel is the heating, which takes ages to start blowing lukewarm air into the ****pit. Below -5C it's not funny to drive this car. My wife's HR-V (which is even more fun in the snow!) is sauna-like warm before you can reach for the controls!

I feel that accord is pretty decent in the snow, you just have to be aware that it is a big car and quite front heavy, so you need to be carefull pulling out of junctions, taking roundabouts etc. You will struggle if your running summer tyres. I'd rather be in my accord than any of the abandoned BMWs i regualrly drove past over the last few years.

The normal snow driving rules apply.

Take your time, keep your revs down (if you break 3k rpm (petrol) in the snow your done for), slow deliberate movements, no sudden braking and most of all stay calm.

I have used the accord as the main transport to the scottish mountains for me and friends and i really can't fault it's handling in the snow when you drive to the conditions.

*edit* i don't think my car has traction control, i have no button to turn it off.

Its the vsa one by your right knee.

If Robin can drive his Accord in that, anyone cam drive their car in the engilsh winters ;)

That's odd I thought it was standard on all 7th gens.

Yours is pre-facelift.

To be fair the Honda system us far better than some. Mine only gets used in EXTREME weather only.

HI all, so, I'm looking down both barrels of my first winter with my diesel Accord Tourer. It follows a lifetime of driving sheds that lack anything like ABS and VSA, so I'm looking for any tips on how this experience may differ from piloting boggo front-wheel drivers in the slidey stuff. Regrettably I definitely cannot afford winter tyres :(

Thanks in advance, sod.

Sooooo nearly bought winter tyres last year but lack of funds put pay to that. Since my job changed and I had to get a 2nd car (01 honda civic 1.6 SE exec) it has been running on winter tyres (michelin primacy alpins) since early Nov. Not much snow here :( but the difference in performance over summer tyres is very noticeable. I did get caught in a very short & sharp snow fall on the way home the other week and had to do some hill starts in about 2" of fresh snow. The car slipped only once so overall very well worth the cash. Only down side is the reduced mpg - approx 5mpg.

Overall very pleased and money well spent.

I think the Accord performs above average in snow.
I have 57 accord bought from Uk Dec 17th 2010 and drove it to Malta ( below Sicily ) 2400 miles.
London to Dover full of snow. The channel train stopped working becoause of snow.
I managed to cross on the ferry to Calais in France and drove to Italy via Switzerland as the roads where closed to to a lot of accidents.
In France the Accord ploughed through the snow when finally a came to a steep ascent on the highway and the vsa starting killing engine power.
Switched off Vsa and starting climbing again.
That was my experience.

Tires were normal brand new before I took it out from car giant.

I covered the trip including ferries from uk , italy messina and Sicily - Malta in 3 days.

Travelled to Etna in Snow conditions 4 times aswell.

Good and very reliable car.
I just love it.

Chris Malta