What's new

Easist option to change dip beam headlamp bulb

im trying to get some hid's fitted, but discovered halfords run a mille when you say what the car is - having realised its a bumper off job, ffs.. its hid's now, are we sure its h1 i need for my 2010 tdi with projector lens ?

Hi.
My 09 Accord has H1 dipped, and H3 on the main beam. Most on line bulb dealers list as H1 on both. But I do not have HID's fitted but will be looking at LED's instead.

smokingman said:
Hi.My 09 Accord has H1 dipped, and H3 on the main beam. Most on line bulb dealers list as H1 on both. But I do not have HID's fitted but will be looking at LED's instead.
Thanks for that, I have considered led but all reports say the pattern is very scattered, and hard to find a decent onel, i tried on my previous passat a couple of months ago and was very disappointed and sent them back

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

smokingman said:
They seem very expensive compared to hid's, having said that im gonna try some much cheaper led bulbs for the main beam if only so the lights match in colour.

freddofrog said:
^ now you're being silly Eric, you don't need to rebuild the engine to change light bulbs, you only need to take it out
laugh.gif
I do recall a converstion in a friendly garage about a Jag. To change the wiper motor, it was an engine out job

Ouch

Matt said:
Bonnet open to bonnet closed 90 minutes with new bulbs fitted to both sides.

8th-DippedBeam_zpsudd8fhzs.jpg
Bloody hell, respect !
I went in through the wheel arches to fit the h1 hids, what a pain. Had to get the wife to physically fit the bulbs as she has smaller hands and took 2 days as result. But pleasantly surprised to see the sharp cutoff still existing afterwards no doubt due to the projector lens.

right then, h1 hid's fitted now, main beam hp3 led's on way, so is it 711's for the front fog lamps ?

oh btw i ssaid i was fitting some cheap led in the main beam, so i bought these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x260W-26000LM-9005-HB3-H10-LED-CAR-HEADLIGHT-KIT-BULBS-Super-Bright-6500K-White/272759150567?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
very impressed - ILLUMINATING ! grins - very impressed, now wondering why i fitted hid's in the dip, my hid's are nowhere near as bright. but there is no way on earth im changing them now, as i had to get the wife to use her small hands to fit the bulbs and so took 2 days... not funny.

Pretty sure the main beam and dipped beam cannot be adjusted individually.

Also I ran led dipped beams for about 10 months. I initially wanted them for the longevity but anything from eBay or Amazon will never live up to what's advertised. While the ones you've ordered may be very bright, they're completely unfit for a road legal application and will throw light everywhere so please be careful about blinding incoming traffic.

When mine were in dipped beam projectors I found they give of the illusion of brightness due to the intense whiteness. Recently switched back to osram night breakers and night driving is much better again, even if the light has a yellow tinge to it.

Will be trying PIAA hyper arros bulbs when one of the osrams blow. Luckily I have small hands so it's 10 mins a side to change.

Unscrew wheel arch liner, pop it inside out so you can get your arm in, unscrew the weather guard from back of headlight, feel for the back of the bulb plug and wiggle in a gentle up and down motion to free it from the single pin, unclip bulb, put new bulb in the right way (the filament curls always face straight up) clip bulb in, plug in. Put back together.