What's new

EGR and related pathways

Tdutton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CTDI
Hey guys, looking for some advice - Thought i would do a nice sunday evening clean of the EGR related bits and bobs (excuse my ignorance i'm no expert on the names for the parts!).

So, about 6 months ago I cleaned up the butterfly valve? and the corner piece holding the sensor? these were in pretty clean condition so no problems there. I then removed the bypass pipe thing (again dont know the name for this!) and the top entrance on this was very sooty.. see photo

On investigation into this large part..

the bottom hole on the right, is extremely sooty and restricted. i just about managed to take a photo of this

Before jumping balls deep into trying to remove everything to get into there and give it a good clean, is this a complicated job? and also will there be much benefit of doing so? my inclination would say that is restricting the flow of exhaust gas from the egr valve pretty considerably but thought i'd check with the experts first :) from this..i would imgaine the EGR vavle itself is pretty clogged so i fully intend to investigate that too and also might go down the blanking route if needs be. the car can be laggy when flirting with the loud pedal..

any advice greatfully received!
Tim

Not sure about your problem pal but I've had a few problems with the EGR valve on my previous car Vectra C 1.9 CDTI
best thing to do is clean all the connecting pipes out best you can, clean the EGR out, buy a blanking plate and have it mapped out. EGR valves cause more harm than good. Same if u have a DPF get that mapped out to.

Just do a search this topic is well covered and yes blanking and mapping out is the best option for a permanent fix. Your car has no DPF.

Drop me a line if you need pricing.

I did do a lot of reading around this on the forum, tons of threads about it! however, i couldnt find one detailing removing and cleaning the large part pictured above. And after i've cleaned it all up i think i will get it blanked off, right after i've checked with the insurance what the damage will be, renewal is this week :(

Tdutton said:
I did do a lot of reading around this on the forum, tons of threads about it! however, i couldnt find one detailing removing and cleaning the large part pictured above. And after i've cleaned it all up i think i will get it blanked off, right after i've checked with the insurance what the damage will be, renewal is this week :(
Don't tell the insurance it's being mapped if that's what u meant?

Fahad do u do the mapping pal?

Insurers are wise to performance remapping. While it's unlikely that they would check, it is possible and they may do this in the event of a major claim. Like all mods, it is best to tell them, particularly as many do permit limited power upgrading, often at little or no cost... you really wouldn't want to find your insurance was invalidated when making a major claim.

yeah i couldnt agree more, would never go down the route of not telling them, not worth it!

Yes we offer the mapping and the full blanking service also if required.