What's new

Electrical issues

ThePilotWhoCantFly

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord CN1
Hi everyone have an issue with my Mk7 i-CTDI. This has happened before. The issue is when I try to start the car the dash will flicker and there will be some sort of clicking noise almost like a relay or starter solenoid repeatedly going on and off. So I just tried to start my car and the same thing happened. Popped the bonnet and sort of pushed the positive lead as if it was going to do something. Tried to start it again and it did the clicky thing for like half a second and then started up like normal. Could it be a starter motor that seized up? If it was the battery surely it wouldn't have started up the 2nd time trying to crank. Later on in the day it happened again, tried to jump start via car and it would just turn over the engine but not enough to start the engine. A jump pack though did provide enough juice to start it up which makes me think it isn't the starter. Appreciate the help.

I would load test battery and check and clean all electrical connections, once cleaned cover with vaseline.
My suspicion would be a failing battery, cold weather will usually start to show a bad battery.

Thing is this has been happening for quite a while now. Sometimes it'll act normal for like 3 weeks or even a couple of months and then start to act up. Surely if it was the battery this would be a constant issue not a periodic one.

Ok, Intermittent faults can be difficult, but start with checking and cleaning all battery terminal contacts and earth points. That means removing and using a wirebrush or similar to clean off verdegris and corrosion. Electrons travel on the outside of wire, so corrosion means high resistance. Make sure the earth cable to car body is clean, maybe replace if necessary.
Sometimes a failing starter will cause this as well, I have had similar on my wifes Impreza and a strip and rebuild with new grease made it like new again. I didn't even replace the brushes just cleaned it and reassembled with grease.
Clicking starter relay usually indicates lowish voltage.