Engine conversion to a 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalerobert

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
So I've been looking this up a lot as i really want to do this I'm pretty sure that some on here have done this and im wanting to know how you went about it and price ranges cheers in advance peeps

Jon_G said:
I'd like to think you mean a diesel, but I'm guessing you don't?
I think he's talking about the fun 2.2, so no not a diesel ;) :lol:

The H22A swap won't cost the world providing you have time and space on your hands, and you're handy with your tools. Don't do what I did and leave your car on your parents driveway for 3 years whilst putting off finishing the work :lol:

Yeah i mean the 2.2 petrol im wanting some more fun and more tuning options would the prelude 2.2 fit ??

Not quite sure if the 2.2 prelude will fit in the 1.8 accord but with the 1.8 accord being based on the ATR i am pretty sure it will, there are several options for the H22

H22A5 - pre facelift prelude - only 185bhp i think -
H22A8 - facelift prelude - approx 197 bhp - with close ratio gearrbox minus LSD
H22A7 - ATR engine - approx 214 bhp - with close ration gearbox and LSD

There were several other jdm engines, H22A i think which had the output of the A8

You would probably need the:

ECU/ wiring loom/ drive shafts and gear linkages
Wiring would be the issue as your stock 1.8 may not have all the wiring required for the h22

We did an engine conversion on my brothers 1.5 lsi 1994 coupe (we put in a B16A2 engine in there)
wasn't the easiest job and alot of frustration although strangely enjoyable
My brother did all the research so all aspects were covered - if he didnt i think he would have been in a mess

I would recommend buying an ATR instead as it would be the complete package. i.e. recaro seats, LSD, H22A7, stiffer more rigid shell and over 200 bhp as standard. They dont cost that much nowadays either

Hey fella

wish u good luck on that. Its not that easy but u can do it ;) For your question -> yes, prelude will fit (kinda more work with LSD), if looking for fun, im into superchargers (those JR which u will swap for air induction iron thingy (where flap is)) or if u are looking for automatic, then u have to get F20B (approx 190bhp in AT) or nowadays popular K20A (used in integra R/civic R/euro R ;) it wont cost u much more than H22A7.... u can try to fit J30 engine (used in accords coupe) it will fit.

K20 won't fit unless you are prepared to cut up your bulkhead, find one-off shafts, mounts etc.

Andy at VTEC direct looked into it a while back for his ATR race car and said that a K20 swap is pretty much impossible...If Andy says that, I would agree.

Same goes for supercharging a H22. Requires cutting out the bulkhead as there's no room for a supercharger.

friend of mine swapped H22 into civic EJ and turboed it.... it is possible and dont tell me its no room there... there always is room. Also friend of mine is turboing his prelude.... there is room too..... if u dont believe ill give pics

edit: if i find pics of another guy who supercharged his prelude too... there is room

Havoc said:
friend of mine swapped H22 into civic EJ and turboed it.... it is possible and dont tell me its no room there... there always is room. Also friend of mine is turboing his prelude.... there is room too..... if u dont believe ill give pics

edit: if i find pics of another guy who supercharged his prelude too... there is room
Are you stupid? Superchargers and Turbos are totally different. Turbos go on the exhaust side and yes, there is room for that, but you were talking about supercharging the Accord, which goes on the intake side WHERE THERE IS NO ROOM UNLESS YOU CUT THE BULKHEAD.

As for precludes, who gives a crap about them? We are talking about Accords, and I know for a FACT that a supercharger will NOT fit a H22 in the Accord body UNLESS you cut the bulkhead.

Seriously you must be stupid if you cannot understand that...

really? calling me stupid? are u that poor? did someone call u stupid? true is i couldnt find pics of accord chargers (link broken) but found civic 1.5 ECO
IMG_4744.jpg

smaller space and no bulkhead modification needed. To be honest i think u are stupid for believing in things like "someone said". my friend said he has helicopter and submarine (sure he has it). Please dont call me stupid and talk to me when u do some swap/turbo/charger modification (by yourself and not just looking at someone who does it)

add: and no needed bulk mod for accords too.... everything is possible.... its about not to give up when some screw doesnt fit in hole.....

PS: u were talking about K20 swap and bulkhead, now it turned to H22 and bulkhead, did u lost? really? cutting off bulk for K20? ok :D

found..... he clearly modified bulkhead..... theres no doubt about it

//sarcasm off

33511740006_large.jpg

Hahahaha, that Accord isn't even supercharged! Like I said, stupid!

And I still don't have a clue why you are bringing Civics and Preludes into this when we are talking about Accords. Like I said, Andy at VTEC Direct (look him up, he knows EVERYTHING about our Accords) is the one who announced it was too much work, and if I remember right you have to take a notch out of the L/H chassis leg so that there is room for the supercharger belt. Seriously, if Andy says it is too much work then it's definetely too much work!

Go read a book moron.

And I was talking about K20 because YOU mentioned it. Of course anything is possible, but a K20 will need custom mounts, management, shafts etc etc. LOTS of work that no one will want to do when a H22 drops straight in.

And yes, a K20 WILL require the bulkhead to be cut as the exhaust is at the BACK of the engine instead of the front like the H/F series, meaning it will foul the bulkhead...Guess who tried it!!

Ok peeps well thank you for both your inputs, the reason i was asking is i have a 1.8 sport not much/ enough power for me but i just wanted it to be a wolf in sheep's clothing if you get what i mean i love how the accord 6th gen looks its an awesome car and you don't have to do much cosmetic wise to make them look mean

now im moron :D 22 yo kid will tell me im moron and that acco isnt even supercharged :D ok :D that little silver thingy behind engine is charger made by Rotrex

let me guess who tried -> not u

i can bring here anything i want to as long as u are about to offend me like this.....

if they will say accord has 4x4 u will believe it.... attaboy

looks like someone is unsettled

Guys cool it or ill shut the thread. Its getting out of hand

Havoc said:
now im moron :D 22 yo kid will tell me im moron and that acco isnt even supercharged :D ok :D that little silver thingy behind engine is charger made by Rotrex

let me guess who tried -> not u

i can bring here anything i want to as long as u are about to offend me like this.....

if they will say accord has 4x4 u will believe it.... attaboy

looks like someone is unsettled
They did make a 4x4 Accord actually, JDM only :).

That "silver thing" is not a rotrex supercharger actually, it's just a standard intake manifold for the F22/3 found in the 5th gen Accord, as that one above is actually a 5th gen not a 6th. Lastly, no rotrex supercharger for the Accord has cruise control like the one above (you can see two throttle cables) and you cannot adapt the standard throttle body to fit. Also, there is a lack of supercharger belt and pulley, in fact there is the MAP sensor where the pulley and belt tensioner would be, so that is definetelt not supercharged. :)

No I haven't tried supercharging my H22 or fitting a K-series, but when multiple people have tried it and failed (due to serious work needed) one of whom is regarded as the God of 6th gen Accords, you tend to believe them! And yes, I may be a 22yo "kid", but this "kid" has successfully transplanted a H22A7 into my CH7 all by myself, and I know exactly how tight room is as I drive the bloody thing. I also fitted the loom, management and gave it a base map myself. Every single one of those mods in my Sig was fitted by myself (and that's not all of them!). Every last nut and bolt on this car was done by MYSELF, and not one person has helped me, so with all due respect this "kid" will just laugh at you while you cruise around in your slow SOHC :).

@ TypeR, my apologies.

Accord636 said:
Ok peeps well thank you for both your inputs, the reason i was asking is i have a 1.8 sport not much/ enough power for me but i just wanted it to be a wolf in sheep's clothing if you get what i mean i love how the accord 6th gen looks its an awesome car and you don't have to do much cosmetic wise to make them look mean
H22 is the best option really. Cheap, powerful and drops straight in. Would you consider just buying a Type-R though? Can be picked up for peanuts nowadays!

Havoc said:
found..... he clearly modified bulkhead..... theres no doubt about it

//sarcasm off

33511740006_large.jpg

To just clarify a few things. I can't see no super charger on this engine. Shiny chrome pipe looks like a standard induction kit with air filter on end.

Lets put a line through this and move forward.

If you want more power out of a 6th gen then go for a h22a swap. Turbo charging or even supercharging these 1.8/2.0 engines is not worth it imo.

lol... u should come to my homeland and see how swap should look like.... we are swapping engines/heads/etc etc every month and not once per life and acting like hero :) yes blue im talking about u.... but i dont care.... u think its not possible..... sure.... i will let u in it.

PS: that rotrex is kinda home build with multiple brand parts but mainly rotrex

shame i cant give u link to our forum as its only for registered and not in english but at least http://www.swap-racing.com/ and learn something

lock it please as i smell egoism from ppl who didnt do anything in their life ;)

How many times do I have to say this...I'm NOT saying it's impossible, I'm saying that realistically it's too much work for most people especially when you could just have the easier and cheaper option of having a H22. :)

As for not doing anything with my life...Well it's pretty ironic considering I'm younger then you yet I have a nicer faster car than you haha, but ok sure I've done nothing with my life! ;)

But how will that make it faster Jon... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.