What's new

Engine temp gauge not in the middle

Abid

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord mk7 & mk8 2.0
Hi all, just bought a 2006 accord 2litre petrol, drives spot on has 91k on the clock, on the way back 35miles I have noticed the engine temperature does not move into the middle, it just stays under the middle (just before the temperature symbol) is this normal? Is this the correct position it should stay at of should it be bang in in the middle, I'll try to get a pic of the next time I'm out. Thanks

Yes, absolutely normal... it's been debated before here and on the Civinfo forum. You'd think Honda would've made it read exactly halfway though!

Thanks guys, I thought it was just like this on civics, also I have noticed my fan comes on every minute for a few seconds, I think it comes on when I'm idle and when slowing down, is this normal to?

My fan hardly ever comes on, but my car is a diesel. So long as the fan is going on/off (not simply staying on) and the temperature gauge is showing normal, then obviously there is no great concern.

However, it would be interesting to hear the views of other (facelift?) 2 litre model owners. I remember reading a similar question from a Civic owner, and it turned out the the fan runs regularly when the aircon is left turned on... but I'm not sure whether this is an issue with Accords?

Cliffordski said:
Yes mine runs for a few seconds every couple of minutes when climate control is on.
Just found out that my AC was on all that time lol, turned AC off and no no fan noises runing fine, is there a way that the climate control can turn kn wothout AC being automatically turned on aswell, as i always have to turn it off each time

On mine the climate button on the left of the centre screen lets me turn aircon off on the touch screen.

I see, mine is just the standard unit (se spec), when I turn my heaters on I have to always remember to turn the AC Off aswell

The standard temp gauge is useless like in most hondas.
It's not direct reading, just a rather inaccurate switch!

RE using climate control without the A/C being on; is there an economy button, normally marked 'econ' or similar? I'm fairly certain every car I've driven with A/C and climate control equipped has had this button - it's there to prevent the A/C engaging if it's not needed in order to increase fuel economy.

RE the coolant temp gauge not being centred once the coolant is up to temp; provided it's out of the 'warming up' area, and it sits steady somewhere between the high and low end of the gauge, then I really wouldn't worry too much. Again, from memory I think a lot of my Honda's sit just below the middle of their range when they're up to temperature. That point probably represents 90 degrees or so and the centre is probably 100 degrees, if I had to guess.